From Rhode Island

HelenReddy

Hatching
10 Years
Nov 16, 2009
I found this site recently, and love the way everyone shares their knowledge. I have books and i get the magazine, but still don't know what to do about my hens.

I have 11 laying hens, 10 Barred Rocks and 1 red (Helen Reddy) for eggs. Although I raised them all together from a few days old (around May 2008), I had to remove Helen from the flock last winter after the BR's started to attack her and pick at her - I think they killed the other red hen that was in with them. I got the BRs because I always thought the breed was pretty, but my BRs never look good - they always have bald spots and pick marks and seem to be quite disagreeable with each other. They have a large chicken house and a large fenced in yard, plenty to eat, fresh water, no lice . I'm thinking of going back to all NH Reds, which I had a few years ago. The NH reds never had this scruffy look to them, they didn't fight with each other, and I think their eggs were browner too.

Any ideas about what I'm doing wrong with these Barred Rocks?

Hi and welcome! Do your birds free range? I have BRs and they are more aggressive than other breeds. Don't know what to tell you about their scruffy appearance. Have they been wormed? Are they always like that or could they be molting?

welcome-byc.gif
From oklahoma

frow.gif
and
welcome-byc.gif
from PA! Perhaps your BR's came from a poor breed line? I have BR's and they are beautiful and very friendly. They sit on my lap and tell me all about their day.

As far as your Helen Reddy (I am WOMAN) I think you have the same problem I do with my single Hamburg. I have 2 of a few breeds but only 1 hamburg. She is picked on and at the bottom of the pecking order. The other girls always pair up together but she has no one. I will never get a single bird again that doesn't have a match or companion.

There's alot of truth to the old saying "Birds of a feather flock together". Mine always stick with their own - they are the most racist chickens alive!!!
th.gif

Back
Top Bottom