From the life of a chicken fan

Here is the formerly fluffy yellow chicken, she is one of the hens which are laying, she lays a dopple yolked egg almost every 2. day , she is a cross between a hybrid Marans and Sussex, as you can she, she is a bit nasty, whenever the Lavender Araucana enter the house in the evening, she chases them out and then “guards” the entrance

02427B14-6FC1-4B00-A6AA-EDAB707B8C52.jpeg

Here in the middle is one of the gray chickens , cuckoo in the middle, she hasn’t started laying yet, even though her comb and wattles has been looking like this for the past 3 months ... she is a cross between Cream Legbarr and Marans, should lay olive eggs, one of the 5 Lavender Araucana just vanished, I fear the neighbors cat got it :( the rest of the baby chicks turned out to be roosters, since I have 5 neighbors surrounding me, they had to go and get turned into chicken soup 😓

Last edited:
F79948BC-496A-4131-831E-61CDF032A8A1.jpeg
9BC922F8-0E67-49C3-9BFE-930AAB46C1B0.jpeg

Here is my 10 year old hen Gin, when we first got her, we didn’t know if she was male or female, so we said, she/he will bei either Gina or Gino after 9 months she laid her first egg, but we had so gotten used to calling her Gin the name stuck, she still laid over 40 eggs last year :eek: she started getting spurs like a rooster 4 years ago, now she sports vicious spurs on both sides of her feet :p she is a cross between Bresse and Augsburger, notice her ( right now shrunken) buttercup comb
C36168A3-89B6-49F2-952E-51E47EC611EF.jpeg

Dog just killed ( or should I say played to death) her first mouse 🙈 look at those teeth, she really doesn’t enjoy touching it . I am used to a more efficient killing of mice , when I was a kid, we had a Jack Russel, one bite, twist of head, and the mouse was history
D84A6A54-9CCB-4289-8212-04C33148ED28.jpeg

My hubby isn’t really a fan of animals, so I do most of the stuff by myself , he does like to talk about chickens when he sees other people ( even though he doesn’t know the chickens names) , soo, he talked so much, that the people in his (very big) company gave him the job of the bird conservationist :p he then had to ask me, cos he had to hold a 1 hr. speech about how to better look after the birds on the grounds the company owns, of course it is just a honorary position without any extra cash

Yey!! My hen from 2013 laid her 1st egg this year, but consider all the other slackers, almost all the hens from 2016/2018/9/20/21 are NOT laying right now :( the hen is my reliable broody hen, she has raised baby chickens every year, last year I was already afraid that at her age, she might not stand the stress , but she did great

I am so happy, another one of my 4 Lavender Araucana has laid her first egg :weeI have been keeping chickens for 10 years, but the 1st egg is always special and I’m excited about it :D
My 9 year old hen also laid another egg (66 g)
BFA5AA92-96C5-4C0A-AB2F-613FEC86AAD0.jpeg

Dog just killed ( or should I say played to death) her first mouse 🙈 look at those teeth, she really doesn’t enjoy touching it . I am used to a more efficient killing of mice , when I was a kid, we had a Jack Russel, one bite, twist of head, and the mouse was history
View attachment 2964574
Yep! My wee Italian Greyhound girl, Winter, is a mouser and likes to 'gum' the poor things to death. My dog before her would eat them and more than once I was ..err.. gifted.. with the remains of a dead mouse in my bed.

Good thing I'm not afraid of the critters or I would have screamed.

I am not afraid of mice, but wouldn’t enjoy sharing the bed with a dead one either :sick my Dobermann Pinscher was an efficient mouse hunter, too, but she only ate the young ones 😈 my last dog was a very „special“dog, and didn’t even look at mice or crows, but just let him see a chicken or duck, and he was on it👿

Back
Top Bottom