From turner to hatcher, set them how?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by WriterofWords, Mar 19, 2008.

1. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Since the eggs are upright in the turner, how should they be set when taken out of the turner on day 19?
    Kate

2. Tony

Tony Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2008
    Connecticut
    Hi Kate, IMO if you have empty egg cartons, set the eggs in them (pointy end down)
    I did my very first hatch ever just 2 days ago and used the egg cartons, it prevented the chicks that hatched first from knocking the other eggs all around. and it made clean up ALOT easier after they were all done hatching. If you don`t use egg cartons, i`m sorry but i do not know the answer to how you should place them in the hatcher. good luck!! Tony

3. jeaucamom

jeaucamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2007
    Ophir, CA
    Most folks just lay them on their side. I have definitely found I have a higher hatch rate from the ones in the middle than on the sides, so we have been keeping them towards the center. Some people even use those fuzzy pipe cleaners to form a ring so they don't get rolled around as much when the chicks start hatching. Can't wait to hear how your hatch goes!! Good luck!!

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I've started setting mine in eggs cartons and am having for the most part very good hatches that way. I used to just lay them on their sides in the hatcher. I don't think I'll ever do it that way again. I'm sold on putting them in a carton.

5. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    THanks everyone! Looks like they go from bator to hatcher in cartons! I have a ton of the egg flats from a local restaurant so I'll cut one to fit. By the way, Cyn,,,,,, these are your eggs! They go in the hatcher today!!
    Kate

6. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I hope you have a good hatch writer. Keep us updated on them

7. ChickenWing

ChickenWing Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2008
    Michigan
    I use 5/8 flat washers from the hardware store. I lay the egg on its side in the hole in the washer, and it keeps the eggs from rolling. I also angle the big end slightly up.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2008
  8. WriterofWords

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    The rolling is definitely an issue, I had two hatch yesterday and one was so violent in knocked the end off of an egg that wasn't ready to hatch. I put plastic wrap over that one and it's still doing good so my fingers are crossed. I've lost just too many from others beating them up during birth.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by