from what i understand...please read

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by newchik715, Sep 2, 2009.

1. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    from what i am getting you don't need a roo to get eggs for the family.....right?

so following this logic what if i want my own chicks? can i take my hen to a roo or borrow one from someone else to get eggs fertilized to possibly be chicks? i know when a female dog is in heat you can just take them to the boy to get prego....is it the same for chicks?

2. mrbstephens

mrbstephens Chillin' With My Peeps

Wouldn't you get some roosters out of these fertilized eggs? If that's not a problem you can wait till you get a broody and stick some fertile eggs under her. You order the eggs and have them shipped to you. Crazy, right?

3. herbandteas

herbandteas Chillin' With My Peeps

Or you find someone local enough to you that you could just drive out and pick up your fertile eggs which is what I plan to do when I get my cochens laying as I planned to use them for that as well as thier sweetness [​IMG]

4. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    Quote:Now that sounds like a good plan to me.:<)

5. KellyHM

KellyHM Overrun With Chickens

Sep 10, 2008
    Lakeland, FL
    You could borrow a roo from someone if you don't want to keep one. If you take your hens to the roo they may get stressed by the change of environment and not lay for a month, which would make the visit useless.

6. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    Quote:I would be worried taking my hens somewhere or bringing....in a rooster for a "visit" for three reasons: A) stress....they may not tolerate it well B) introducing any illness to your chickens and C) potential for injury if the birds dont hit it offright. May all be very theoretical concerns as I have no experience as far as "chicken breeding" goes......I would feel more comfortable to find fertilized eggs somewhere if you want your hens to brood them. That way you can even get any breed you choose....[​IMG] JMHO

7. newchik715

newchik715 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Washington
    thaniks guys....i honestly dont know a thing about chickens yet so i appreciate ALL honest opinions! this is why i am here...to make sure i really do want chickens and can handle the responsibility!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by