Frosbite Prevention

DinosRBirds

Hunted by Moonlight
12 Years
Feb 1, 2011
Lake Huron,MI
Does Vaseline really work?
I used it last year, and just want to know if I did it for no reason. Does it work?

Manual Poll:

Yes:

No:

Last edited:
Yes. I even had a cock bird with a huge comb get a little spot of frostbite where I missed spreading the vasaline last year...
smile.png

Quote:
How thick or thin do you put it on ? Like glob it on or just rub it in ?
And doesnt that get messy ? I mean like they get it dirty ?
Thanks I just needed to know that I never done that before and was wondering if I should or not .

spread it on nice and even.

Or get them some heat.

of course, I don't have to worry about that... I have to put AC in my coop.

Umm. Quick question. Where do y ou put the vasoline? Like, all over the hen? It's feet? I've never heard of this, but am worried that they are cold with the 30 degree nights we have been having and their complete refusal to sleep in the coop. Thank you
smile.png

Quote:
Those temps are not worth worrying about. It's only when temps drop about 10 degrees lower that you need to start worrying. And if they are sleeping outside then they should be fine. The only time birds get frostbite outside is when there is a lot of moisture in the air, like when it is snowing. Frostbite is a risk on combs (and sometimes wattles) because that is the highest point on the bird and that is where frost tends to settle most heavily. The wattles are at risk because a big set of them can/will dip into the waterer when drinking causing freezing and frostbite. Their feet and legs should be protected by their feathers when roosting. The only time feet and legs are at risk is when a bird is standing in snow/icy watery mud for an extended period without moving, or if the bird has underlying circulation issues.

I have used Vaseline and Bag Balm to prevent frostbite. Both work. It needs to be reapplied every night, though.

Ours have had frostbite when the temperature was in the twenties. I put vaseline on their combs any time the forecast says it will freeze overnight. They haven't gotten it again since I'm doing this. Surprizingly, they seem to like it, like a little massage.

Does Vaseline really work?
I used it last year, and just want to know if I did it for no reason. Does it work?

Manual Poll:

Yes:

No:

I have never used it. Mechanism I suspect behind it working if it does is by limiting evaporative heat loss where as moisture (roughly equal to sweat) evaporates from skin of comb, the temperature drops causing its temperature to drop more than it would otherwise. The vaseline may seal in moisture and butter or some sort of fat may provide similar benefits.

I have yet to see where someone actually tested if vaseline works.

Don't know I use A+D ointment it works great mine had a really really bad case of frostbite and this saved the life of one of them it just didn't seem like the petroleum would be good for them. :)

Back
Top Bottom