1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frost bite? Back of comb blueish black, but smells sweet.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by miss heny, Feb 3, 2014.

1. miss heny

miss heny Genetic Expert in learning Premium Member

My little rooster comb is a bluish black on the back, has this liquid oozing out and smells sweet.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Please help, he is a just a two year old mutt but he is one of our best roosters.

2. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I think that is just simply frostbite.

I got to say though, I don't think I have ever taken the time to smell frostbit combs.

It looks like it will heal perfectly on its own. I wouldn't do anything to it.

As whatever parts decide to fall off, there is usually some blood or a little oozing fluid, but I have never had a problem with frostbit comb edges. (toes are a completely different story)

3. Alaskan

Oh, you should make sure than none of your other chickens decide to peck at it. I haven't had that problem, but I always watch carefully with healing frostbite, since just one drop of blood can be enough to set some chickens off.

4. miss heny

None of the birds would be foolish enough to do that with him, he is the head man. No hen has ever peck him on the head.

5. Alaskan

Then keep an eye on it, but don't do anything, or worry about it.

It will keep changing appearance. A bit of a line will develop between the good and the bad flesh, then the bad stuff starts to fall away, sometimes with a bit of blood and then scabbing.

I don't know why so many people panic and spend all sorts of time scrubbing and applying anti-biotic. None of the frostbite, on comb or wattle edges, of my birds has ever become infected. I have never treated it in any way. I just keep an eye on it.

I know it isn't because there are no germs in Alaska, because my kids have gotten infected cuts. [​IMG]

6. miss heny

We live in MS, hence why I am worried, with all the mud we get in the winter I want to make sure he doesn't get the infection.

7. Justins Wife

Justins Wife Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2014
    Bedford
    My rooster also got frostbite on his comb about 3 weeks ago. On advice from my daddy, I did nothing to it, and Fudgie is fine. It did bleed a little, but that was it!

8. Alaskan

We did warm up two weeks back and get mud and standing water. And I do have some roosters and hens with frostbite, none have gotten infected.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by