frost bite on toes?

michleeh

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jun 1, 2012
Hello,

I'm guessing that my hen has frost bite on her toes, and it looks like she'll be losing one of her toes for sure.

Is there any concern with the "burned" parts spreading up her foot?

Is there anything that we can do to prevent other toes from falling off?

I'm concerned about the swelling on the toe that looks like it will fall off; anything that I can do about that?

Is there anything to prevent this in future hard winters? She's the only one that got it.

Thanks so much,
Michele

Looks bad.

As for prevention - wooden roosts wide enough so they can cover their toes with feathers at night.
If there's a lot of snow or cold wet ground, spread straw or dried leaves to give them something to walk on.
I've had a lot of frozen combs and wattles but never toes.
Where are you located?

Last edited:
There isn't a lot you can do once it has happened that I know of. You might want to do a general search here for "frostbite" and see what others' experience has been.

As for prevention, from https://sites.google.com/a/poultrypedia.com/poultrypedia/poultry-podiatry

Prevent Frostbite on Feet

Similar to frostbite in humans. May heal if not too severe. Places on toes & feet will turn dark if gangrene sets in.
  • When chickens hunker down to perch at night in winter, if perch is so narrow that toes are curled downward below bottom of bird's feathering, the tips of toes may freeze. To prevent this, ALWAYS PROVIDE BROAD PERCHES so the feathers will cover all the of chicken's comparatively flat feet well.
  • Coops without enough ventilation increase risk of frostbite, because of the increased risk from humid conditions. 'Wet' cold causes more frostbite vulnerability than 'dry' cold, and chickens' breathing & droppings can build up quite a lot of dampness in the air. To prevent problems, provide enough air circulation for the number of chickens, via small openings in the coop even during the cold of winter. The openings should be in locations sheltered from breezes (such as underneath roof eaves), and covered with wire to keep predators out.
  • Treatment: [More info needed]
  • Special shoes may help birds that lose parts of their feet to frostbite. You can buy neoprene Chicken or Duck Shoes at http://www.etsy.com/shop/PartyFowl?section_id=12239516. When you place your order, describe your bird's condition, to help select the most appropriate shoes

We have standard size hens. Any idea of diameter that would be good. I'll have to check what we have now, but I'm guessing their toes might not be completely covered. Would it be better to have something flat instead of round?

We have standard size hens. Any idea of diameter that would be good. I'll have to check what we have now, but I'm guessing their toes might not be completely covered. Would it be better to have something flat instead of round?
Yes, flat with edges slightly rounded. Chickens aren't tree perching birds like sparrows.
A 2X4 with the wide side up is best but at least 2" wide. If one goes into the coop at night in the winter and you can see toes, the roosts aren't wide enough.

Back
Top Bottom