Frost bite

BorealRanch

Chirping
Aug 31, 2018
Northwestern ontario
A few of our chickens already seem to have frost bite on but nothing too crazy. Mostly just the tips of combs but on much closer examination one of my younger ones feet look completely dead. I've pulled it inside to warm with another and given it's feet a warm water bath like I've read but I'm not sure what can be done. Like if the poor things feet are dead should I just put it out of its misery?

The chicks were an unplanned hatch our easteregger brooded in the forest. They were hatched Oct 25th all of the toes are completely black... trying to upload a pic but am unable to

Yes, it'll lose its toes, but it should survive just fine. I had a duck lose an entire foot once and a bantam lose about that much of its toes. Both of them went on to live perfectly happy lives. I think I put some pictures in an article I wrote on here. I'll have to see if I can find it.
I don't think I'd do anything, honestly. I had to bandage my birds' feet due to blistering and infection risk... but I don't see that here. The dead bits will fall off eventually. Just make sure it doesn't get very dirty in the meantime.

Back
Top Bottom