Frost bitten loosing feathers

TinyRaptorDodos

Crowing
May 23, 2021
Wasilla, Alaska
My rooster is still under a year old, this is his first winter and it’s already gotten under -16, I’m not sure what to do, I keep them in the heated coop under we get a roofed fenced in area and my other chickens are fine other then my oldest hens comb getting smaller.
Cowboy lost his longer tail feathers and his comb is super frost bitten.
Last picture is the best I have from before with him and the first one is my hen whos comb is unnaturally small compared to when I got her last year

Attachments

• 4019BC26-657C-4312-8621-8EDA7F711396.jpeg
    4019BC26-657C-4312-8621-8EDA7F711396.jpeg
    558.7 KB · Views: 11
  • 7D2C010D-5271-4AF0-818C-EE9F04FE4E97.jpeg
    7D2C010D-5271-4AF0-818C-EE9F04FE4E97.jpeg
    337 KB · Views: 3
  • 445EFB0D-FFFA-4AF7-B5FE-28E6586FE18F.jpeg
    445EFB0D-FFFA-4AF7-B5FE-28E6586FE18F.jpeg
    387.3 KB · Views: 4
  • B9D002B0-9427-426C-AC64-17ED7BFF79E5.jpeg
    B9D002B0-9427-426C-AC64-17ED7BFF79E5.jpeg
    895 KB · Views: 3
I used to treat frost bite with petroleum Jelly, but with as brutally cold it can get in my area it doesn't always help.

Now I'm doing something different. Comb, & wattle inspections. I see who's comb, & wattles are thin, or thick. Thick combs, & wattles have less issue with the cold. I also feed corn every other day, or about once, or twice a week. The corn helps them stay warm.

For thin comb, & wattle boys, I'm dubbing them to prevent this issue from happening.(Controversial to some.) Only had one who needed this to be done.

I used to treat frost bite with petroleum Jelly, but with as brutally cold it can get in my area it doesn't always help.

Now I'm doing something different. Comb, & wattle inspections. I see who's comb, & wattles are thin, or thick. Thick combs, & wattles have less issue with the cold. I also feed corn every other day, or about once, or twice a week. The corn helps them stay warm.

For thin comb, & wattle boys, I'm dubbing them to prevent this issue from happening.(Controversial to some.) Only had one who needed this to be done.
Alright, I can’t give them corn because where we live we only get very processed corn that would make the eggs less healthy, any other snacks that create heat?

No type of food is going to deter frostbite.
the first one is my hen whos comb is unnaturally small compared to when I got her last year
Did she get frostbit last winter?

There's not much you can do once they been bit, best to leaves hands off so as not to introduce infection to the compromised flesh.

Have had some pretty bad FB here, they all healed up just fine with no intervention,
but it took months to fully heal.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

There's not much you can do once they been bit, best to leaves hands off so as not to introduce infection to the compromised flesh.

Have had some pretty bad FB here, they all healed up just fine with no intervention,
Corn works for me. I feed it limited though, to avoid making the birds too fat.

She did get it last year but it never got past just white frostbite, she slept in the kennel with the goats to keep herself warm

Back
Top Bottom