Frostbite and reintegration

Jana912

In the Brooder
Jan 20, 2022
I live in New England and the weather has been very up and down this winter- with close to 0 temps and then back to 30-40 degrees, lots of rain. I have 5 chickens. One has gotten pretty severe frostbite. She has been inside for 2 days now, and she seems relatively ok- eating and drinking okay. Not lethargic.
It’s going to be about 20-30 degrees this weekend. I’d like to reintegrate her. How should I go about this keeping in mind the cold and pecking order issues?

Until her frostbite is healed, she shouldn't be subjected to below freezing temps less the damaged tissue should refreeze. It would be doubly bad the second time.

What body parts froze? Have measures been taken to prevent such a thing from recurring?

I live in New England and the weather has been very up and down this winter- with close to 0 temps and then back to 30-40 degrees, lots of rain. I have 5 chickens. One has gotten pretty severe frostbite. She has been inside for 2 days now, and she seems relatively ok- eating and drinking okay. Not lethargic.
It’s going to be about 20-30 degrees this weekend. I’d like to reintegrate her. How should I go about this keeping in mind the cold and pecking order issues?
Until her frostbite is healed, she shouldn't be subjected to below freezing temps less the damaged tissue should refreeze. It would be doubly bad the second time.

What body parts froze? Have measures been taken to prevent such a thing from recurring?
I’ve added photos to the thread. Just the comb Is affected. Temps will be 20s during day and 10-18 during the night.

Attachments

• 13749979-3A42-4807-B3A2-7EA68F8863C8.jpeg
    13749979-3A42-4807-B3A2-7EA68F8863C8.jpeg
    405.5 KB · Views: 1
  • 4F580E10-2078-4416-A278-ACA99845D183.jpeg
    4F580E10-2078-4416-A278-ACA99845D183.jpeg
    367.1 KB · Views: 1
That really does not look that serious. I would try to start reintegrating her right away. Most frostbite like that, I would have left out in the coop, and not treated. Her comb will be smaller and mire rounded off, but she should heel fine in a few weeks to months. How warm has it been in your house the past 2 days? Can she be put in a colder area of the house? Once she is back in the coop, I would supervise, and make sure, no one is pecking her more than what one would expect after just 2 days. Sometimes the injured comb will bleed if banged on a feeder or pecked. Let us know how she gets along.

That’s what I thought as well. She’s been in a bathroom though while it has a heater I’ve cracked open a window so it is a bit cooler. We chose that spot because of sunlight but kicking myself that I didn’t keep her in the basement to start. Our basement just has a concrete floor so it didn’t seem like a good idea at the time. I think my plan from here is to put her in our basement at some point today and then bring her out in the morning where I’ll be able to look out for her all day since it’s the weekend.
Thanks for the advice! New England is going through it this winter.

That really does not look that serious. I would try to start reintegrating her right away. Most frostbite like that, I would have left out in the coop, and not treated. Her comb will be smaller and mire rounded off, but she should heel fine in a few weeks to months. How warm has it been in your house the past 2 days? Can she be put in a colder area of the house? Once she is back in the coop, I would supervise, and make sure, no one is pecking her more than what one would expect after just 2 days. Sometimes the injured comb will bleed if banged on a feeder or pecked. Let us know how she gets along.
Ditto Dat!

Back
Top Bottom