Frostbite and shivery flock

picklestheduck

Obsessed with Animals🦆🐓🐥🐴🐱🐶
Premium Feather Member
Oct 16, 2021
Michigan
Hey y'all, so my rooster has a bit of frostbite on his comb and waddles, and I'm not sure what to do. Should I just leave it? It's not super bad. I'm just afraid of it getting worse since it's going to be around 0 degrees tonight and tomorrow. I know my coop doesn't have the best ventilation, but it does have some on the top, and we are going to be working on it. For now I have an ammonia and moisture deodorizer in there. Called sweet coop. I'm not sure what to do. Some of my ducks have been shivering a bit outside, but they have a nice warm coop to go into if they need to. Also, I could put a heat lamp in there, but my friend had a huge coop fire, and 145 Birds burned alive. I'm just afraid that will happen to us. We could secure it zip tied up, but I'm still nervous. Should I put a heat lamp in there? Or should I just let them do their own thing? I have a very thick layer of shavings in there, and I will be putting more in there tonight. Their run is full of fluffy straw to keep their feet warm. Help! What should I do? I'll try to get a pic soon but its hard since I have tendinitis and my roo is very resistant, I already re-injured my hand from catching him.
1642781736422.png

Hes prolly at the moderate stage.

Yes, frostbite will heal on its own tho they will probably lose ends of combs and/or wattles. Shaking the head a lot is normal. It’s uncomfortable but nature will take care of it.
My rooster got frostbite on both wattles last year in that polar vortex when it got down to -20º here. You can see the tip of one wattle has already fallen off in this pic. The other did too, and is even shorter. I think his problem may have been while drinking he would them in the water they were so long. No more. B62B8F91-26A0-45BE-A50A-C651A9CFA5A6.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom