Frostbite in cold, humid environment

Everybody suggests ventilation. Have good ventilation and no drafts. ;)
As far as my own personal opinion, I've tried a lot of things in those temps and heard of a lot of things, but I haven't found anything that works great yet. I'm going into a new winter, with a big combed hen, and a new plan. I'm hoping for the best. You can click on "My Coop" and see my new plan.
And sorry, I thought of it, but gave up before I tried it, cause I figured that it wouldn't work: Little winter hats for every bird with a big comb. It would of been cute, but probably impossible for them to keep the things on! :lol:

Thanks! That's funny. I actually thought of the hats too but wasn't sure they would keep them on either. And was a little worried about them retaining moisture.

Also, where do I click on "My Coop"?
Here:
1609276238043.png

Providing places for them to shelter when they are outside might help, or keeping them locked into the coop IF it's big enough and has adequate ventilation can help. The reality is at those temps it's still a risk. Coop ventilation is still necessary, but not always useful if birds are outside during the day in those same temps.

We had a cold snap where it was around 14* F at night and 17-20* during the day. Unfortunately my rooster with a big single comb got frost bite during the DAY. My assumption is they are usually huddled together at night, putting him at more risk during the day.

I'm interested to see what others might have to say.

We have good ventilation but the coop probably isn't big enough for them to be in all day without starting fights. The humidity in the coop is actually much less than outside. I do let them out during the day. That might be the problem. It just seems like I would have unhappy chickens if I didn't. We have tried putting on Vaseline. I think it helps a little but I don't think it's a total solution. They do have places they can huddle up in outside. And they often do.

Any advice on preventing frostbite in temperatures between 12 and 32 degrees Fahrenheit with an outside humidity of 84 -100%.
Personally, and IME, there's little to nothing you can do to prevent FB on combs, if the conditions are right it's gonna happen.
My take is leave hands off both before and especially after for best recovery and healing.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/frostbite-in-sw-michigan.74597/

Little winter hats for every bird with a big comb.
There was a recent thread about some who did this rather successfully,
can't remember if they'd done it repeatedly over several winters tho.
'Glued' them on during times of highest risk.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/warm-winter-hats-for-roosters.1435559/

The humidity in the coop is actually much less than outside.
That's interesting.
Pics of your coop, inside and out?
...and....
Where in this world are you located?
Climate, and time of year, is almost always a factor.
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1609279843074.png

Last edited:
Personally, and IME, there's little to nothing you can do to prevent FB on combs, if the conditions are right it's gonna happen.
My take is leave hands off both before and especially after for best recovery and healing
X2

I have high humidity, so it doesn’t matter how good my coops are... single combs will get frostbite.

However, good management will keep feet healthy, and THAT is very important.

I have switched over to only breeds with tiny combs... so no more frostbite.

So make sure you have great ventilation, give them access to their run, make sure there are wind blocks in the run, and keep the feet healthy.

Back
Top Bottom