Frostbite on baby chicks?

Can roos start mating at 10 weeks? These guys are 10 weeks and have kicked Little Foot out of the nest for the past two nights. Today I put her in the nest box and closed the door to the room they’re all kept in. When I heard her yelling I peeked in there and saw one of the boys over top of her and squatting down. Like he was mating with her but Little Foot is super tiny. Then he noticed me and just pecked her a couple times. I hate to remove her from her friends because she’s so lonely but I obviously can’t leave them alone. But was he mating? Should I remove the boys from the mommy hen too?

Can roos start mating at 10 weeks? These guys are 10 weeks and have kicked Little Foot out of the nest for the past two nights. Today I put her in the nest box and closed the door to the room they’re all kept in. When I heard her yelling I peeked in there and saw one of the boys over top of her and squatting down. Like he was mating with her but Little Foot is super tiny. Then he noticed me and just pecked her a couple times. I hate to remove her from her friends because she’s so lonely but I obviously can’t leave them alone. But was he mating? Should I remove the boys from the mommy hen too?
Eh, maybe.
If they are harassing a bird like that, might be time to move the boys out.

Even if not trying to actually mate with her (and its possible they are), they are at the very least dominating/bullying her. They might do this even if she wasn't handicapped, but it's probably worse (and ocurring earlier) because they sense her weakness. I would remove the cockerels asap before they hurt her, and leave Little Foot with her mom.

So I tried to leave Little Foot with her mom, I put them in their own separate cage, but Little Foot didn’t want to be near her either. The mom settled down in there just fine but Little Foot was stressed out. I left them together for awhile and i could hear her just peeping her head off. I had my brooding plate in the cage with them and Little Foot just wanted to be under that. I can try again tomorrow with them but i dont like leaving Little Foot loose in that room since she got hurt. Once i removed the mom she stopped peeping and settled down again. The mom is laying eggs again but still cuddles with the boys.

How is Little Foot doing?

Did you mean you fear she will be lonely if you remove her, or that she is already lonely? That sentence stood out to me in your post, but I wasn't clear what you meant.
She’s doing good. Her leg has healed up and she’s using it again. She’s still really unsure on her feet and spends most of her time sitting. She mostly just gets around to get food and water. I try to encourage her to walk around more but I want her to be around other birds as well. Not just me.

What I mean by lonely is that she has attached herself onto me. She’s become a little Velcro bird and wants me to carry her everywhere. She peeps for me in the morning and I’ve had to stop taking her out of her cage until I get her a diaper. At some point I’m going to introduce her to Snuggle, Baby and Beakers. Snuggle has chronic wry neck, Baby is Snuggles GF, and Beakers has cross beak. None of them are really aggressive but I will be taking it slow since Little Foot is so tiny. She’s still just the size of a chick. She’s an OEGB and d’uccle cross so I don’t think she’ll get much bigger. I hope those three will become her flock.

Glad to know she is doing well. Are you padding/wrapping her stumps? If not, they may be too tender and painful for her to walk on. I'm not surprised she has attached herself to you. You are her safe haven and protector. You have done a great job in helping her move past her injury and loss.

Glad to know she is doing well. Are you padding/wrapping her stumps? If not, they may be too tender and painful for her to walk on. I'm not surprised she has attached herself to you. You are her safe haven and protector. You have done a great job in helping her move past her injury and loss.
I haven’t been wrapping them. Her stumps are so very tiny and thin when I tried to wrap them they came off almost instantly. She has pencil thin legs. Any suggestions on how to keep the wrappings on? Or how to wrap her stumps in general?

Indeed they can. Boys can have some major sex drives at a young age.

Back
Top Bottom