Frostbite on Bantam Toes

HMulvey227

Chirping
Jan 12, 2021
I Recently brought my 3 bantams in from outside but I didn't seem to d o it in time. One of my hens has toes that for lack of better words have died. She cannot move them and the tissue almost looks mummified. It looked like healthy tissue when I brought her in. I will never make this mistake again. I will be bring them each winter from now on. Will her toes fall off? I am so scared there will be just bone left behind. I have been giving her aspirin (it's been 1 week). She is eating and drinking water but cannot perch. Should I just have her euthanized? Thanks for any help.

Completely redoing the coop for next winter, I would get pictures but she is comfy right now. Pad of feet are white and toes (all but 2) are a dark gray and black and stiff, her normal scale color is Grey but this is a dead looking Grey and they are skinny and almost look like they are curling up. Hopefully I'll get pictures later. I am doing a foot soak with warm water and a frostbite salve.

Just wanted to update anyone and everyone, she is doing wonderful! Unfortunately we lost a foot and some toes, what a terrible learning experience I will never let happen again. She is completely healed, luckily she is young so she is learning very quickly how to cope like a normal chicken, now she yells at me for snuggles. I had to separate her and just keep that area clean to prevent infection and had a pain management routine. She is on a high protein diet for now until she gains some weight back. She will live a comfortable life with nothing expected of her.

Back
Top Bottom