Frostbite or breeding defect?

Hello again lol we hatched our first svart egg today and it’s got 5 toes on each foot! Is this from inbreeding? I was told the rooster and 3 hens were completely unrelated… but I’m pretty sure they’re only supposed to have 4
Congrats on the Chick!

You got photos of the toes?

I'm not a genetics person, so if no one chimes in here about the toes, then start thread on the general breeds forum and ask about them.
There's 5 breeds that do have 5 toes - Dorking, Faverolles, Houden, Sultan and Silkie.
To me, having 5 toes on both feet would not be due to inbreeding, but having a breed that had 5 toes in the mix somewhere along the line. But I could be totally wrong.

Congrats on the Chick!

You got photos of the toes?

I'm not a genetics person, so if no one chimes in here about the toes, then start thread on the general breeds forum and ask about them.
There's 5 breeds that do have 5 toes - Dorking, Faverolles, Houden, Sultan and Silkie.
To me, having 5 toes on both feet would not be due to inbreeding, but having a breed that had 5 toes in the mix somewhere along the line. But I could be totally wrong.
Thank you!! I’m going to have to get pictures when I get back home but they look like this picture I found, I really don’t think my rooster is pure anymore. The chicks comb is definitely not a single comb and it’s legs are also a bit furry, the comb actually seems like it will look like it’s dad so maybe he didn’t get frostbite after all!

Attachments

• 10211D63-DCCF-4146-9478-C59029EE4795.png
    10211D63-DCCF-4146-9478-C59029EE4795.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 3
I would personally not be too concerned unless you hatch more like that. I've got a bird that shouldn't have extra toes, but she does. Sometimes it just shows up.

That being said, I would not sell it as a pure Cemani. Just because it doesn't fit their standard.
After further inspection it also has a different comb then the hens, it looks like my roosters, but I thought his was like that because of frostbite, I’m not sure what kind maybe a cushion comb is what it looks most like, it’s legs are also hairy so idk 🤷‍♀️ I don’t think I ever will haha thanks 🙏

Thank you!! I’m going to have to get pictures when I get back home but they look like this picture I found, I really don’t think my rooster is pure anymore. The chicks comb is definitely not a single comb and it’s legs are also a bit furry, the comb actually seems like it will look like it’s dad so maybe he didn’t get frostbite after all!

With the chick hatching blond, too, that's definitely not a pure Ayam Cemani. The one in your previous image looked black though, so is it two separate chicks or bad lighting?

With the chick hatching blond, too, that's definitely not a pure Ayam Cemani. The one in your previous image looked black though, so is it two separate chicks or bad lighting?
That was just a photo I found online because I was not home at the time this is what his feet look like, he is completely black, but you can somewhat see the hair on his legs in the photo I’m not sure what it could be mixed with, this is the father comb

Attachments

• 939830F2-1FD7-4928-ABCB-73A3F9522A59.jpeg
    939830F2-1FD7-4928-ABCB-73A3F9522A59.jpeg
    273.5 KB · Views: 3
  • 2A0DA48C-D06D-41B3-9E45-781843B764E0.jpeg
    2A0DA48C-D06D-41B3-9E45-781843B764E0.jpeg
    882.1 KB · Views: 3
  • CD15728C-38E4-44E1-BB85-515B8360DE04.jpeg
    CD15728C-38E4-44E1-BB85-515B8360DE04.jpeg
    386.2 KB · Views: 3

Back
Top Bottom