Rooster with frostbite concerns

No other rooster. 7 hens and my 1 boy. 2 of my hens have bare spots from his spurs. I wonder if they are pecking at him? Run is 10 feet wide and 20 feet long. Coop is the medium sized OverEz coop. Has two roosting bars, 3 nesting boxes but not sure of the exact dementions. Coop sits at the back of the run but they have the ability to go all around and under it. I keep the run tarped over the coop always and then during the rain times I tarp the other half so their food stays dry and it minmizes the mud since they have pecked all the grass down to just dirt. Stress molt is possible due to the water constantly freezing and me having trouble keeping it thawed. Food has been abundant for them so I think hes eating ok. I did notice he was in the coop away from the hens earlier which is unusual for him.
Can he get outside or stay out at night? I usually don’t see that severe of frostbite unless one gets wet with temps near zero. In fact I haven’t seen it that black. Does he have any bleeding around his comb? The hens certainly could have pecked at his comb. I would increase his protein, and spend time watching the hens behavior toward him. Has he been raised with them?

So what do I feed a rooster that is seperate from my laying hens? How do I feed them separately? Do I need a whole separate coop for my rooster?
I have never separated one for a different feed. Most of us either allow our rooster to eat the layer feed, or put everyone on all flock/flock raiser with the extra oyster shell. I have done both, especially when there are different age birds or older non-layers.

Can he get outside or stay out at night? I usually don’t see that severe of frostbite unless one gets wet with temps near zero. In fact I haven’t seen it that black. Does he have any bleeding around his comb? The hens certainly could have pecked at his comb. I would increase his protein, and spend time watching the hens behavior toward him. Has he been raised with them?
All raised together since 2 days old. Weve had temps below 10 for several days. They can come and go into the run via their small door on coop. Its possible he got wet from split water or just drinking. Ill be watching him close

I have never separated one for a different feed. Most of us either allow our rooster to eat the layer feed, or put everyone on all flock/flock raiser with the extra oyster shell. I have done both, especially when there are different age birds or older non-layers.
Ok good, I was thinking the same

So what do I feed a rooster that is seperate from my laying hens? How do I feed them separately? Do I need a whole separate coop for my rooster?
The whole flock gets fed a 20% All Flock, or Flock Raiser feed, with oyster shells in a separate container, or feeder for the hens to supplement their own calcium. There's literally no need to feed separate diets.

Layer feed has primarily been formulated for High Production Laying Hens, like hybrids such as Isa Browns, other types of Red Sex-links, & Leghorns.

The whole flock gets fed a 20% All Flock, or Flock Raiser feed, with oyster shells in a separate container, or feeder for the hens to supplement their own calcium. There's literally no need to feed separate diets.

Layer feed has primarily been formulated for High Production Laying Hens, like hybrids such as Isa Browns, other types of Red Sex-links, & Leghorns.
I see...I add 1 pound of additional oyster shell to every 10lbs of feed. The feed also contains oyster shell as is with the additional omega 3s. My local town store doesnt have 20% layer feed, only the 16%. Ive been told a feed store about an hour away has a 20% feed though. Ive considered switching and just buying the feed in a larger bulk than I do now. They eat about 40lbs every two weeks

I see...I add 1 pound of additional oyster shell to every 10lbs of feed. The feed also contains oyster shell as is with the additional omega 3s. My local town store doesnt have 20% layer feed, only the 16%. Ive been told a feed store about an hour away has a 20% feed though. Ive considered switching and just buying the feed in a larger bulk than I do now. They eat about 40lbs every two weeks
Layer minimum is 16% protein. But an all flock feed(Made for every age, & gender) is usually between 17% - 20% protein.

Oyster shell is really not supposed to be mixed in the feed.

All raised together since 2 days old. Weve had temps below 10 for several days. They can come and go into the run via their small door on coop. Its possible he got wet from split water or just drinking. Ill be watching him close

With sustained low temperatures, flesh can freeze even without excess humidity. If you want to keep chickens with big combs and wattles you need to provide supplemental heat. Since he’s already heavily frostbitten, it would be best to bring him into a warmer environment and get him some pain reliever from a vet.

With sustained low temperatures, flesh can freeze even without excess humidity. If you want to keep chickens with big combs and wattles you need to provide supplemental heat. Since he’s already heavily frostbitten, it would be best to bring him into a warmer environment and get him some pain reliever from a vet.
I have a heat lamp on and added a second heat lamp for when the temps were below 10. Unfortunately I dont have an area much warmer than that available for him.

Back
Top Bottom