frostbite

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by heyeddah, Jan 22, 2009.

1. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    What does a frost bitten comb look like and how serious is it? What should we do to treat it? Her normally bright red comb is lighter pink, maybe dull gray? Everyone else seems fine and she is behaving normally and laying still?
    The really cold weather was about four days ago. We are back into 30s during the day and teens at night, but they are cooped up out of all wind.
    Advice?

2. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

It will turn black,gray. You can put neosporin, diaper cream bag balm etc.. You are going to want to keep an eye on to make sure it does not get infected.

3. siz8003

siz8003 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Fitz.,NH
    [​IMG]
    He got it bad and I think I need to cut it off [​IMG]

4. heyeddah

heyeddah Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 15, 2008
    Milford Ct
    EEEEW
    Cut it off??
    How are you going to do that?
    There is another post with a chick with frosbite toe. People suggested it would fall off after it died back. Will the comb part fall off on its own?

5. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    My hens looked just like thst and I applied VET RX ,neosporin and then vasiline. Hers turned black and is starting to fall off now. (about 2 weeks) The vet told me to just watch for pus and oozy stuff and if that happened I would need to cut off right away. I kept treating it everyday! I just went out and slathered up all of them as it is turnng cold again tonight .-2

I also put her in a cage for 2 days with terrimyicin in her water.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 22, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by