Frostbite

Lavender6

Songster
Jul 5, 2021
Mount Vernon KY
My rooster Merle has frostbite šŸ„¶. My coop was covered all over with a canvas tent, no draft and adequate ventilation. I put vaseline ( people said do it, then AFTERWARDS many said not too) on his comb and wattles but is was -33 wind chill.
He has severe frostbite which has now blistered. I brought them all in the house. I just put them back out but left him inside.
Now many are telling me to cut the the frostbite off because he is in pain. I can't take him to the vet! My husband and Mother just died a month apart 4 months ago and I only have 1 income. I am disabled.
A guy down the road fights chickens and does his all the time. He has meds he puts on before he takes them off. I think this is extremely cruel. I don't want to have him culled! However; I don't want him in pain so I am at a loss. He is eating and drinking but not as well as he use too. He is shaking his head a lot. Please help me. I want what is best. I just cannot kill him!

Attachments

• 20221227_151234.jpg
    20221227_151234.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 47
  • 20221227_151224.jpg
    20221227_151224.jpg
    288.6 KB · Views: 7
  • 20221226_114450.jpg
    20221226_114450.jpg
    344.8 KB · Views: 6
:hugsI'm sorry that you're having a rough time.

There's no need to kill him.
There's really no need to dub him either.

As the damaged tissue begins to heal, the points will naturally dry up and fall off (self dub).
The wattles will likely do the same.
There may be some oozing of the wattles since they are so large, but at this time I would leave them alone.
Don't rub the damaged tissue with any ointments at all.

He may be feeling a bit of pain. You can give him 1/2 of an 81 mg (low dose) aspirin twice a day for 3 days if you feel you must, but personally, I would just leave it be.

He's eating/drinking which is good. Often birds will not eat as well when they are going through this. You can provide a bit of extra protein like egg, fish or meat to give him a boost.

Just my 2 Ā¢

My Black Jersey Giant/Blue Andalusia rooster got a nasty frostbite on his comb and wattles during the Snovid freeze here in Texas. Going by the good advice from BYC members to keep him separated from his girls (they were trying to peck off the bits of blood and flesh from his wattles) and to let it heal on its own, he made a full recovery minus the tall points on his comb.

My

Coop is 7x7x7 about 4 ft long and 2 ft wide on the top opposite sides. I hold a lighter at the bottom and there is zero flickering of a lighter.. surely it doesn't need more than that. ??
Zero flickering could also mean no airflow, which means no ventilation. Pics of your coop would help when you are able.

Despite my best efforts I think some of my girls also got frostbite. But will start my own thread for that. I hope your Roo recovers well. :hugs

My

Coop is 7x7x7 about 4 ft long and 2 ft wide on the top opposite sides. I hold a lighter at the bottom and there is zero flickering of a lighter.. surely it doesn't need more than that. ??
Well, there's a fine line with ventilation.
You do need air flow, but not direct wind.

Even in a well ventilation coop birds can suffer from exposure when outside in their run or wherever. Frostbite can be common. Roosters with large wattles can often suffer frostbite from just drinking water and getting their wattles wet.

I have a flock in an extremely well ventilated area, they sleep in the rafters. Never have had frostbite with any this group of birds in this particular area (last 5yrs or so) until this last cold spell. It had to be from exposure. A little frostbite on combs was the least of my worries when temps went from 43F at 10am to 6F by 7pm - a 37 degree drop in about 9 hrs with wind chills in the teens. Next day it dropped to Zero that night and wind chills at -24F. I'll take a few lost points, no frostbitten toes/feet and birds that are still alive, moving, chickening and laying eggs.

Yes, the hens were relentless and incorrigible. Like piranhas.
I had a rooster that just had a tiny cut on his comb and had to separate him out. The hens would not leave it alone and were working on trying to eat his comb. Worse yet, he just stood there basking in the "attention" he was getting and was letting them!:idunno

Back
Top Bottom