Frostbite

I did read. Neither roo is bleeding. I've been observing them for several days now and none of the hens have pecked at them. I left them with the flock to limit the disruption since no one was picking at them. I have nearly 60 chickens including 7 roos in that flock. It's one thing to remove a hen for a few days. It's quite another to remove a roo when you have multiple roos. It can really cause a disruption... Since they aren't bleeding, I felt would cause everyone less stress and strife to let them stay in the coop. Naturally if the situation changes, I would remove them immediately.

But my original question still stands... Should I spray them with vetricyn?
No, I wouldn't do anything. I'd leave them alone.

Your light colored rooster, in the photo his wattles are already starting to dry up which is good imho. It will take a while, but they should dry up and fall off on their own.
If the hens are not bothering them, then leave the roosters with them.

@Coops Dad did have to move his rooster since the hens were picking at the wattles/combs, but again, he did nothing as far as treatment.

As the damaged tissue begins to heal, the points will naturally dry up and fall off (self dub).
The wattles will likely do the same.
There may be some oozing of the wattles since they are so large, but at this time I would leave them alone.
Don't rub the damaged tissue with any ointments at all.

Yes, the hens were relentless and incorrigible. Like piranhas.
I had a rooster that just had a tiny cut on his comb and had to separate him out. The hens would not leave it alone and were working on trying to eat his comb. Worse yet, he just stood there basking in the "attention" he was getting and was letting them!:idunno

The lighter colored roo is 2nd from the top in the pecking order, eclipsed only by my oldest roo (an Ameracauna). I've even seen him attack a fox that was chasing one of the hens. He is a rather tough dude... I'd be heartbroken to lose him. When I was cleaning the coops today, he sauntered past me and I thought his wattles had these weird, sickly-looking green splotches on them. I don't see the splotches in these photos though but I do wonder if they could turn gangrene?

I wonder if perhaps my roos got the frostbite from their wattles getting wet while drinking water? It just seems weird to me that there's so much frostbite on their wattles but very little on their combs....
Yes, it's likely from getting them wet while drinking.
I had one rooster with frostbitten wattles, but not on the comb.

I think your roosters will be o.k., just keep an eye on them. Sometimes they may blister and ooze, but likely they will dry up and have no issues.

Back
Top Bottom