Frostbite?

Long Island Red Hen

Hatching
12 Years
Dec 14, 2007
Long Island, New York
New to this site and desperate for answers and help.

I have 6 hearty reds that don't go into their coop every night. Some nights they'll all huddle together on the roof of their coop no matter what the temperature. I have been reading all the posts about trying to train them to go in every night...locking them in for a couple of days.. and someone posted that they lure them in with treats? What would you consider a "Chicken Treat"?
tongue.png

My biggest concern is 2 of the hens have white tips on their combs and two others have about 4-5 small black dots on their on their combs. I picked them up and looked closely, the white looks like "dry skin" and I am stumped about the black dots, they are not open sores but definately on the flesh. Is vasaline or human antibiotics, like bacitracin or neosporin something I might consider putting on them?
idunno.gif

Our temps get pretty cold here in feb. And I haven't had a problem with frost bite (-10 degrees) I have read on other posts about putting vaseline on but have never done it myself .
hmm.png

The small black marks could be bug bites or just places where they've scratched themselves...or somebody pecked somebody else. Frostbite is more likely to be found on the tips of the combs and edges of the wattles.

could be bug bites
could be peck marks
Pox can cause black dots (or scabs)
Favus (a fungal infection)can cause a powdery film on combs.

you can try the triple antibiotic ointment. apply lightly.
if the white continues..try an anti-fungal ointment..such as for athletes feet.

check for mites..go ahead and treat for mites.
also clean and treat the coop,and put in fresh bedding...
if they are being harrassed by mites or lice in the coop..they might not want to be in it..
you can use Sevin garden/livestock dust, or a poultry dust with permathrin

what all do you feed?(they should be on a good layer feed)
some people use scratch as a treat to train them to come home..
or some other special treat, such as a small amount of fruit or berries..

you can also "herd" them in..
I use a leaf rake when I want them to go somewhere...LOL
throw a handful of scratch..or offer some other treat to keep close to the door of the coop, and herd them in..keep doing that until they go in on their own.

Back
Top Bottom