Frostbite

enggass

Crowing
13 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Mid-Coast Maine
What does it look like? My birds have been dealing with 0º temps at night recently and their Combs are getting what looks like is 'dry' on the tips... is this the start of frostbite? Does anyone have any pics?
Thanks.

No Pics. But A Few Of My Birds Have It Too. Just Noticed This Morning. The Tips Of There Combs Will Be Black. They Say To Rub Vaseline On There Combs Not Sure If It Still Helps After The Fact Or Not.

We've had a harsh winter so far here and my IDIOT roos insist on roosting in the coldest area. I've decided I will never get single combed roosters again.

ETA Here is the picture-
IMG_0271-1.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, those boys look like they might be in a bit of pain! I have applied a lliberal amount of vaseline on their combs, waddles, legs, feet and around their face a bit and it has helped so far! I can't complain!

Yes, I suspect they are in quite a bit of pain. I've had severe frostbite on my toes, and even though its been 3 years they still ache! The big Orpington is the worst out of the 6 roosters, but they all have some degree of frostbite. I live in northwestern Wisconsin and it frequently gets below zero. They have the option of sleeping in a warmer area, but they choose not to sooooooo....
hu.gif

I know that orajel would help stop their pain as well as an aspirin! Sorry to hear that you have had frost bite! Can't you stop them from sleeping in the colder area and or make it warmer for them?

Back
Top Bottom