Frostbite

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by enggass, Jan 18, 2011.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    What does it look like? My birds have been dealing with 0º temps at night recently and their Combs are getting what looks like is 'dry' on the tips... is this the start of frostbite? Does anyone have any pics?
    Thanks.

2. blueseal

blueseal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2008
    WALDOBORO MAINE
    No Pics. But A Few Of My Birds Have It Too. Just Noticed This Morning. The Tips Of There Combs Will Be Black. They Say To Rub Vaseline On There Combs Not Sure If It Still Helps After The Fact Or Not.

3. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    We've had a harsh winter so far here and my IDIOT roos insist on roosting in the coldest area. I've decided I will never get single combed roosters again.

ETA Here is the picture- [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  4. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    Wow, those boys look like they might be in a bit of pain! I have applied a lliberal amount of vaseline on their combs, waddles, legs, feet and around their face a bit and it has helped so far! I can't complain!

5. dolly85

dolly85 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2010
    Yes, I suspect they are in quite a bit of pain. I've had severe frostbite on my toes, and even though its been 3 years they still ache! The big Orpington is the worst out of the 6 roosters, but they all have some degree of frostbite. I live in northwestern Wisconsin and it frequently gets below zero. They have the option of sleeping in a warmer area, but they choose not to sooooooo....[​IMG]

6. Luvroos

Luvroos Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2010
    Fredericksburg
    I know that orajel would help stop their pain as well as an aspirin! Sorry to hear that you have had frost bite! Can't you stop them from sleeping in the colder area and or make it warmer for them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by