Frostbitten Cochin pullet-please help!!!

I don't know if this helps, but this is a little hen I got from an auction and she's missing most of her toes...only one has a toenail. I don't know what happened to her toes...I doubt it was frostbite since I'm in FL. The previous owner said she roosts fine (I don't know yet b/c she's been broody since I got her, which is also why she's dirty and missing breast feathers...normally I would never let my chickens get this dirty!). The only thing is that I put her on wire to begin with and she degloved one of her back nubs by getting it caught in the wire (the scabby looking one) trying to fight w/ another hen, so since then I've had her on hay and antibiotics and she's doing better.

15626_101_1431.jpg

We have a little silkieX that lost her foot last year. I don't know if it was from frostbite or if she was the chicken someone tied up by a foot hanging in our coop (don't ya love neighbors - glad those guys are GONE - and our gas mileage went up, but that's another story).

Anyway, she no longer roosts but has her favorite nesting box to lay and sleep in.

I noticed her mother is missing most of her toes now. She hides when she's broody which can cause problem.

I had several with that issue. I have a Muscovy we're going to kill this weekend because the frostbite.
sad.png

My Faverolle bantam roo got it very badly...almost all of his toes turned black and are now starting to come off. I put antibiotics on them and gave him antibiotics in his water. And he's been living in the house for a month now.
roll.png
However, he's now walking (waddling, really) and started crowing on Monday. So I think he's going to make it!

I keep trying to post pics....but my dumbputer deletes them:barnie
We have been considering what we could do with other materials, to make her feet. The only problem would be keeping them on...
Okay, so the places where she puts the most weight (figuratively; she weighs a pound at most) are getting swollen. I treat her with antibiotic ooze everyday, should I be doing it more often? is there a way to keep her from putting weight on them? so the swelling might go down?
I'm sorry to hear about your duck equibling. We're hoping we won't have to do that with Lacy:fl.
if she was the chicken someone tied up by a foot hanging in our coop (don't ya love neighbors - glad those guys are GONE

I KNOW! Our neighbors shoot at the cats, and if their son comes over, we always find something missing!! Although, they leave my chickens alone. <sorry for the long post>​

If she can walk now, she'll probably be able to once they're gone.
smile.png

If not you could make 'prosthetics' out of something. It may look funny though
tongue.png

she definitely won't be much of a showbird, but still a good breeder!
keep us posted!
smile.png

One last update on my little Lacy (which I found out means cheerful; go figure!):
She has lost both of her feet, and now she walks like she's wearing highheels! She has been adopted by my Frizzle roo, which just makes me want to explode with happiness, as her babies will be beautiful little frizzles. My boy is so funny; he stands next to her all the time and chases off any trouble makers.
Thanks so much for all your help! BYC saved my chicken!
bow.gif

Back
Top Bottom