Frostbitten comb HELP!!!!!!!!!!

krv

In the Brooder
11 Years
Apr 30, 2008
My Mom's buff orp. rooster's comb is partially frozen or frostbitten.
hit.gif
The tips of his comb are hard and white. The middle of his comb is not hard, but is purple.The wattles are partially purple and very swollen, but not hard. What will happen to him ??? The temperature has been in the teens yesterday and today.And last night it got in the single digits. What should we do to help him??? I need some good advice.
old.gif

So I turned to BYC for help.
caf.gif

Rick(son of krv)
big_smile.png

Thanks!
big_smile.png

I am glad I wrote in to BYC.
caf.gif

Rick (son of krv)

Search frost bite. There are a number of threads on frost bite treatment for minor and major cases. If yours is hard frozen, I'd put that under major frost bite, and any hard frozen tissue will become necrotic.

If one of my fowl were in your situation, I'd dub (remove) the comb and wattles. The frostbitten flesh will usually die, turning black and rotting. The rotting will cause an infection. The infection will likely kill your bird.

For more information on dubbing, please check here , or you can buy the most current issue of Backyard Poultry . It has an excellent article on frostbite prevention.

Right now it sounds like only a very small part of the comb is actually frostbitten. Those tips of his comb which have turned white will eventually turn black and fall off, leaving behind a scab. Eventually the comb will completely heal up.

To prevent further frostbite, simply apply vaseline like another poster mentioned. When applying the vaseline, it also helps to massage any purple areas to encourage blood flow. Be careful not to massage the white or black ares though, as touching that too much may be painful for your bird.

Keep an eye on the rooster to be sure he doesn't develop any infection and acts normally. (Eats, drinks, and is active) Some roosters are just more prone to frost bite. Typically, after the first winter a rooster will no longer develop frostbite on his comb or wattles.

if you actually think rubbing Vaseline on a comb will protect it from freezing here's an experiment for you to try.
Take off all your cloths, rub yourself all over with Vaseline & go outside in below freezing weather for a few hours. When you come inside call me & let me know how well protected you were.
This is one of the many myths that are repeated as fact here.

Take off all your cloths, rub yourself all over with Vaseline & go outside in below freezing weather for a few hours. When you come inside call me & let me know how well protected you were.

Ok I'll call in a couple hours, wish me luck
lol.png

I think the reasoning behind the vaseline is that vaseline does not freeze, or if it does, I havent found anything that states at what temperature it does freeze.

Quote:
You should try your own advice. Vaseline insulates the flesh and protects it from the sub zero air.

Do you live in a cold climate? Here, the temperature is -20 degrees below zero. Wind chill down to -35 and lower. If you smear fat or oil on one of your hands, then go outside, you will notice the difference.

not a myth. Sexing a chicken with a pencil is a myth. Feeding corn makes birds warmer is a myth. The fact that oil and fat insulate flesh is not.

Back
Top Bottom