Frostbitten Combs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by chickie<3, Jan 30, 2011.

1. chickie<3

chickie<3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I think my hens have a little frostbite on their combs...a few of them have a little crusty brown scabby looking thing on the very tip of the point of their comb...FROSTBITE??? and what do I need to do for that?

2. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

How cold is it where you are? I think you can put vaseline on their combs to help prevent the frostbite. if they are frostbitten, those parts of the comb will eventually die & fall off. A friend of mine had a Muscovy drake that lost both of his feet to frostbite one year but survived and lived a very long life, so even if your girls are a bit frostbitten they should be fine.

ETA: actually, re-reading your post... if it's brown & scabby-looking it's probably not frostbite. frostbite turns the skin black, not scabby. is it possible that someones being a bully?

Just in case, here's an article for frostbite:
    http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-treat-frostbite-in-chickens.html

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    If it is frostbite you can put betadine diluted with water on or neosporin to treat it. To prevent it I use petroleum jelly every night on the combs before they go to bed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by