Frosty coop...wet/frosty backs

All about the EGG

Songster
12 Years
I noticed some frost on the inside of the coop last night, but now all four walls have frost. I also noticed the ladies have a little frost/ice/moisture on their backs. It was -10 w bad windchills overnight, and the coop is not insulated. They are not as perky, but the nest box was full and they are pecking around. The temp in the coop is 0 degrees.

Anyone else experience this with the frost? i am assuming the moisture is building, thus the frost.

My coop is not insulated either. two of my girls had ice on there backs also. We have wind chill's of -18 to -28 I am not going to let my girls out today they don't seem to mind but my goats are not happy.

I haven't been out yet.. but so far so good.
Sounds like you need more ventilation in the coop.

Mine has quite a bit of ventilation and it was warm last night, but not moist. And mine is not insulated either.

Its because it is SOOO cold. I had that a week ago, when we hit
-18°F without windchill. All my silkies had frost on their backs. Once it warmed up over 0, it went away. I had never seen it before in all the years I had had birds, and have not seen it since.

we have ventilation out the wazoo in our coop and still have had frost build up the last few days.
When we had the horses at home every winter there would be frost on the ceiling of the loft.
Sometimes no matter how much ventilation you have you will still get frost.

I had a little frost on the walls today in my coop as well.. and it's ventilated well. I opened the door for 10 minutes or so. It was toasty warm in there.. so I cooled it down a bit. Not sure WHEN my chickens will go back outside... they are afraid of the snow!

I videoed my rooster walking on the snowy driveway today.. he'd lift his feet really high to walk!

We have some frost on the walls. Mostly on the back of the front door and pop door, and where I haven't put insulation in where we made the windows smaller.

I'm getting frost and frozen bedding because mine are on a cement foundation that was poured 90 years ago, IE before grading and special moisture control in cement.

Back
Top Bottom