Frozen chicken!!!

Poor lovely. Was her flesh/skin frozen or just the feathers? How much was submerged in the ice? She may only suffer frostbit on her skin, or it could be worse. Chickens have survived their wings torn off by predators, so, even if her actual wing froze, I would say she stands a good change. If she was weak to begin with, causing her to be stuck there and get frozen up, that could be another story. You will need to monitor her closely and observe closely for damage to the wing. Honestly, this may be a wait and see thing, but if you offer her the best supportive care possible and tend to her wounds, if she ends up with any, I think that is her best chance. I will be watching and hoping for the best.

You should honestly have her in the least warm room in your home so she can warm up slowly. Sounds crazy but too hot too quickly is very bad.:)

Least warm room and feed her a normal balanced ration. I am concerned about what may have caused her to get 'frozen to the ground'. There may be more issues to deal with.

It was her wing that was frozen! I'm thinking 2 days and nights!!!! It's been in the teens here!!! I feel so bad I couldn't find her! I feel like an awful mama

Its not your fault, things happen. Even the best of us sometime have bad things that happen. Chickens have a core body temp of about 107 degrees, unless she was wet she will most likely be ok. I am just glad that you found her before something else did. Keep her warm, let her warm up slowly, don't dunk her in a warm bath or anything like that. If she is dirty after she is warmed up you can give her a bath. Just feed her warm but not hot water with electrolytes in it to help her adjust.

Winters are hard, just don't beat yourself up. You are a great chicken mama.

Ok we going on 3 days now. She she ate fairly well when I first brought her in 2 days ago. Yesterday she wouldn't eat or drink water. Today she took 1 bite and 1 sip of water. She seems alert but won' walk. She seems to fall over a bit when I pick her up in a standing position. I looked and she doesn' seem to have anything broken or frost bite. What do I do now??? She' been pooping and it's white with some black see pic.. In the video please give it a few seconds it' black at first.i hope you can see how she' not steady. Please tell me there is something this chicken mommy can do!!???? Can i give her a bath or wait??

Attachments

• 1517760064422-2058606129.jpg
    1517760064422-2058606129.jpg
    259.8 KB · Views: 13
Ok we going on 3 days now. She she ate fairly well when I first brought her in 2 days ago. Yesterday she wouldn't eat or drink water. Today she took 1 bite and 1 sip of water. She seems alert but won' walk. She seems to fall over a bit when I pick her up in a standing position. I looked and she doesn' seem to have anything broken or frost bite. What do I do now??? She' been pooping and it's white with some black see pic.. In the video please give it a few seconds it' black at first.i hope you can see how she' not steady. Please tell me there is something this chicken mommy can do!!???? Can i give her a bath or wait??

1517760064422-2058606129.jpg

I cant get video to upload. I need to charge my phone and I'll try again. What could this be? I sit her up, she stands then kinda falls over but she catches herself and lays down

Back
Top Bottom