Frozen Egg, what to do?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by cowpunkmom, Oct 30, 2009.

1. cowpunkmom

cowpunkmom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 17, 2009
    Tucky laid her very first egg ever outside yesterday, and I didn't find it until this morning. I live in Alberta, and this means her egg is frozen solid.

What can you do with a frozen egg? Is it edible? Or should I just compost it? Help!

2. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    If I ever get a frozen egg I just toss it out, you can't do much with a frozen and or a thawed egg, I may be wrong but it is just what I do.

AL

3. Whirlwind

Whirlwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2007
    Tuttle, Oklahoma
    If you want to save eggs for a slow time you can break them out of the shell and freeze them in ice trays.

Then pop them out when they freeze and put in zip lock bags to use later for baking. However don't know about it frozen in the shell. [​IMG]

4. ShaggysGirl

ShaggysGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2009
    Temperance, MI
    IMHO I would toss. The problem here not being that the egg was frozen but that when a liquid freezes it expands and if it expanded and crack or stress the shell it could let bacteria in.

5. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Any frozen eggs we have get used the same day they are collected, usually as scrambled eggs. Even if they are cracked. We are not eating them raw, so cooking kills any bacteria.

6. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Half the year is frozen here. I wouldn't have too many eggs if I tossed every partially or fully frozen egg. If it has not gotten a lot of dirt in the shell then it's perfectly edible. Frozen eggs just don't fluff the same so keep that in mind. I still scramble mine they just come out a little "heavier" sometimes. They may not work for some baking dishes. Other than that people freeze eggs on purpose sometimes to have them last longer. Freezing them in the shell doesn't add anymore risk unless they get dirt/chicken poop across a crack. The crack will actually close back up as the egg thaws but I would use it quickly and cook it thoroughly. If it's not cracked then not a problem. Treat it like any other egg just keeping in mind that frozen eggs are not as useful for some things.

If you want thawed eggs over part of the winter you can point a heat lamp at the nest boxes or find a safe heating pad to put under the box or bedding. Eggs don't freeze until lower than the freezing point of water so you don't have to get up above 32F and they take a little longer to freeze. You should get some thawed eggs except for the really cold parts of winter if you warm the nest boxes a little.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by