Frozen Eggs? Toss em?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by DENALI, Dec 21, 2008.

1. DENALI

DENALI Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Wasnt able to get home last night to collect eggs so i have about a dozen eggs from yesterdays laying and todays, half of which i am positive got frozen overnight. None cracked but i am not sure if i should just throw them or is they would still be suitable to use after they thawed out. THanks

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    You can still eat them, there texture might be a tad different but no harm in eating them !!

I left some out overnight about a week ago and they froze, I cooked em up and gave them back to the chickens.

But like I said there is no harm in eating them.

3. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i'd cook them and feed back to the chooks also...

4. gretchenhau

gretchenhau Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Lebanon Ohio
    I used my frozen eggs in omlets just fine, didn't notice any difference in texture, infact the kids asked for seconds.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Personally I wouldn't hesitate to eat them if close inspection revealed no cracks in the shell -- tho I would eat them *now*, not store them.

If you're not comfortable with that, then yeah, cook them and feed to chickens, dogs, whatever gets there first [​IMG]

Pat

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

As long as they aren't cracked I always use them for us.....I wouldn't put them in any I was going to sell.

7. chica-z

chica-z Out Of The Brooder

Sep 23, 2008
    Northern WI
    Can these eggs be stored on the counter for a couple of days or do they need to be in the fridge?

8. ILoveJoe

ILoveJoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2008
    Northern Kentucky
    I scrambled and gave it back to the girls.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Unless you are willing to assume you are 100% accurate in telling whether there might be tiny hairline cracks in the shell, the cooler you keep 'em and the sooner you eat 'em, the better.

JMHO,

Pat

10. katrinag

katrinag Chillin' With My Peeps

If they are not cracked I will bake with them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by