Frozen Water!

Quote:
Best advice yet. I second this post. From the weather channel: average low is 40. I'm sure it will dip below freezing, but. Really not worth the hassle of a setup to thaw ice.
Good Luck to you.

Unfortunately I don't have time to make one, and then make it work in my coop, so I went out and bought the hanging electric waterer (this model: http://www.premier1supplies.com/detail.php?prod_id=23286) and even though it was a little pricey, I am so glad I did it. I have 7 girls who are almost 25 weeks old, and I got my first 2 eggs yesterday!! WAHOO
smile.png
Since it often is in the teens and 20's here during the day, and single digits at night, the water would freeze in a couple of hours, and I wanted to be sure they had fresh water all the time. I work from 8:30-5:30, and they are sleeping when I get home, leaving them only a couple of hours access to the water before it froze. I think they are happy, since the water is going down regularly, and isn't full of bedding or poo. This model is super easy to clean, easy to fill, and easy to hang. I'm satisfied! We're supposed to have a couple of arctic blast days on Tues/Wed (-5 to -20), so I am really glad I have it.

Quote:
Hi LoveNewChicks,

no, you needn't have water in the coop at night (overnight) because your chicken doesn't generally eat and drink when it is dark. If your chicken is like mine are, they only go into the coop to sleep at dark time, and to lay egg(s). So perhaps it isn't necessary to have the water there overnight. Your chook will be thirsty in the morning though. Are you able to provide water early on? It sounds like it since you are moving the water out in the mornings.

Quote:
Hi LoveNewChicks,

no, you needn't have water in the coop at night (overnight) because your chicken doesn't generally eat and drink when it is dark. If your chicken is like mine are, they only go into the coop to sleep at dark time, and to lay egg(s). So perhaps it isn't necessary to have the water there overnight. Your chook will be thirsty in the morning though. Are you able to provide water early on? It sounds like it since you are moving the water out in the mornings.

yea,
i do move out the water in the morning, but because the raccoon's attacked her she is gonna stay in her coop for a few more days

Back
Top Bottom