fruit for layers?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by fr27davis, Jul 31, 2011.

1. fr27davis

fr27davis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    long story short my girls layed there first eggs yesterday, three small ones, but still layed some. today nothing, i was reading someware it stated not to feed them fruit (which will make them stop laying), and yesterday they got some peaches. so is this true?

2. greenegglover

greenegglover Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Its never stopped my chicks!

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

It's an old wives tale. Not true. Although a steady diet of a lot of fruit would not be great for laying hens.

Imp

4. ChickiKat

ChickiKat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2011
    Eastern Kansas
    my chickers didnt like peaches.. [​IMG]

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Just a story is all...my girls get fruit every day and lay just fine.

Apples, peaches, bananas, berries.... and they keep on truckin with the eggs [​IMG] We have been giving them fruit every day practically for the 8 years with no issue, so I think you should be ok [​IMG]

6. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

Quote:X 2

As long as they are getting the regular feed too, a little fruit will not affect the laying. Ours are penned with grape vines, peach, apple, plum, pear, crab-apple and other fruit trees and eat lots of it during the season plus they get any table scaps including fruits every day.

A diet of only fruit would cause them to stop laying. Of course a diet of only fruit would cause me to stop living. [​IMG]

7. RHRanch

RHRanch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine get fruit all the time - sometimes daily during spring and summer when the orchard trees are dropping a lot of fruit. Doesn't hurt them, and they lay fantastic orange high domed yolked eggs!

8. fr27davis

fr27davis Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    cool thanks for the replies, did get another egg today so i guess i worried for nothing!

9. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    When they first start laying, it's not unusual for them to be a bit erratic with egg frequency.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by