Fruit stops hens from laying

whatsup chickenbutt

Songster
11 Years
Sep 9, 2008
Is it true that fruit will stop hens from laying eggs? I saw that on a different thread here, and had heard nothing about that before. it figures, I have a giant pear tree over part of my chicken yard.
he.gif

Some folks say that's the case, I feed fruit and have yet to see any egg-laying behavior changing.

I read this in one of the hatchery catalogs. But, mine get cantalope, watermelon ad I have an apple tree in the back yard and they scrounge for the fallen apples. Hasn't affected the rate of lay (ROL).

Last edited:
I have given mine all kinds of fruit, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, apples, oranges, bananas, and anything else I had laying around and never had a problem. There is a list of food you can feed on this website. Maybe someone can direct you to it, I can not find it.

Good luck!
big_smile.png

well, this is funny,
it seems the pear tree isnt affecting mine after all. just a minute ago i found 4 eggs under a tiny little 5x5" space where i layed a shingle over an opening in the chainlink fence so it would be easier for them to walk over. looking at it, you wouldnt even think a chicken could fit in there. (r.i.r. x leghorn)!!

I give my birds treats of scratch, (oats, sunflower seeds, once in awhile bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them. I have never had a problem with their egg production.
yippiechickie.gif

I find that if I give my girls grapes especially make my girls happy, and a happy hen will lay eggs. Usually I'll wait until evening before I give them treats, but they get a year round diet of fruits and veggies.
Sure wish I was your neighbor, I'd love to have pears. mmmmmmm!

Back
Top Bottom