Fruit stops hens from laying

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by whatsup chickenbutt, Sep 30, 2008.

1. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Is it true that fruit will stop hens from laying eggs? I saw that on a different thread here, and had heard nothing about that before. it figures, I have a giant pear tree over part of my chicken yard. [​IMG]
  2. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Some folks say that's the case, I feed fruit and have yet to see any egg-laying behavior changing.
  3. Lee

Lee Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Marion County, IN
    I read this in one of the hatchery catalogs. But, mine get cantalope, watermelon ad I have an apple tree in the back yard and they scrounge for the fallen apples. Hasn't affected the rate of lay (ROL).
    Last edited: Sep 30, 2008
  4. ashyannehand

ashyannehand Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Wade, Mississippi
    I have given mine all kinds of fruit, watermelon, cantaloupe, grapes, apples, oranges, bananas, and anything else I had laying around and never had a problem. There is a list of food you can feed on this website. Maybe someone can direct you to it, I can not find it.

Good luck! [​IMG]
  5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    I never heard that before.[​IMG]
  6. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
  7. whatsup chickenbutt

whatsup chickenbutt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    well, this is funny,
    it seems the pear tree isnt affecting mine after all. just a minute ago i found 4 eggs under a tiny little 5x5" space where i layed a shingle over an opening in the chainlink fence so it would be easier for them to walk over. looking at it, you wouldnt even think a chicken could fit in there. (r.i.r. x leghorn)!!
  8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    My Coop
    I give my birds treats of scratch, (oats, sunflower seeds, once in awhile bird seed, cracked corn etc.), in small quanities as these are treats. I also give them vegies, fruits, most everything that I can grow. I do grow a lot of corn and watermelon especially, also tomatoes, squash, root crops, the list can go on. I feed them everything except potatoes. I figure they will eat what they want. I do free range them. I have never had a problem with their egg production. [​IMG]
  9. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

mine eat fruit EVERY day,, and all mine still lay 6 days a week.
  10. spook

spook Chillin' With My Peeps

I find that if I give my girls grapes especially make my girls happy, and a happy hen will lay eggs. Usually I'll wait until evening before I give them treats, but they get a year round diet of fruits and veggies.
    Sure wish I was your neighbor, I'd love to have pears. mmmmmmm!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by