Thechickentrainer1999

Songster
5 Years
Jul 30, 2018
North Carolina
Does anyone have any idea what food would be best to feed hens to extend their life? I don't care as much about getting eggs as I do for them simply being pets. I of course want them to be healthy, however I learned about Matilda the chicken that lived to be 16 years old, and based on all the health issues mine have had in the past from feeding layer crumbles, and how 3 of my 4 no longer lay, I wonder what it was that that chicken Matilda ate to live so long or anyone elses chickens that have lived over 10 to 15 years. I started out with 11 hens, 1 rooster, and now am down to 4 hens and 1 rooster. 2 of my hens died unexpectedly at young ages of 2 and 3, another died from unknown respiratory issues that all occurred within 3 days, another died from a prolapsed vent, 1 died from sour crop (choking on her food) when I wasn't home. 1 died from reproductive cancer. 1 died from egg yolk peritonitis, and currently I have one who is not doing well with reproductive cancer that has spread to her stomach, causing sour crop. Any advice would be great. In the past I had 2 from my first flock years ago that lived to be 5 and 6. 1 was killed by fly strike and it was too late to do anything, when I discovered, and the other one was killed by a racoon at 6 (up until she died, she laid every day and had no health issues). My current flock contains a 6 year old (almost 7) who has cancer, 2 almost 6 year old's (one who lays, another who doesn't), and 2 who are five (one a rooster, the other a non-laying hen).

I think the more expensive, more well rounded feed would be best. My oldest hens are 5-6 ish. They are all in great shape. I think they key is hens that aren't meant for extreme production. All the hens I'm talking about are brahmas and wyandottes.

In reality hens living much past 6 is more rare than those passing at younger ages.

While mine tend to live to 9+ years old I too have lost younger birds to various things. I haven't lost many at young ages but I definitely have lost a few.

I feed all flock and have oyster shell in a separate dish.

There is a connection between vitamin C and cancer. Since your birds have been succumbing to cancer, you might want to give the vitamin C. It comes in a buffered form from Thompson's, and from Solaray. A single pinch for each bird once a day for 8 days or so, then 2x a week. It does not accumulate in the body. I give it to my dogs and my chickens. And myself.

Back
Top Bottom