1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Frustrated and Disappointed!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Hoover67, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    We hatched 10 chicks last summer and were given 12 more. So out of all those birds it looks as if we have 2 definite hens (started laying Jan 2) and 2 other possible hens (one is a silkie). I cannot count on the silkie laying enough to contribute so I am looking at 3 hens. I am just so frustrated and disappointed. It seems as if I cannot incubate naturally or artificially females! I have 5 sons!!! (and thank goodness one girl) We eat 18 eggs at one sitting. I really needed more than 2 or 3 hens. Two that we thought were hens started crowing this week. I just want to scream!!!

[​IMG]

Just not sure what to do. I hate to wait so long to raise more chicks. Maybe the ducks will start contributing!

Thanks for listening.

2. sewincircle

sewincircle Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 19, 2008
    Central New York
    You need to order your chicks sexed. That way you know what you are getting. That stinks that you had all those chickens and only 3 hens. I am always heavy on roos till my last batch. I had one more hen than roo. Mostly it should be 50/50. Sorry for you![​IMG]

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

When I bought mine, they were 'mixed run' (unknown breeding) but guaranteed layers. Maybe to give yourself a break you could buy some guaranteed day-olds that are known to be female. Sounds like your frustration is well-founded. I was prepared for one mistaken roo, but the batch was exactly as described and in addition the lady who picks chicks for our local co-op (Miss Feathers) selected mine marked similarly so I got 12 golden sex links...[​IMG]

4. Nikki28

Nikki28 David Bowie is my co-pilot

Dec 15, 2008
    Ugh sorry for your predicament. [​IMG]

Wow it sounds like there are far to many boys in your life! Maybe next time you are incubating play them alot of Celine Dion or Julie Andrews ...then again you might just end up with a bunch of broody roosters.

Maybe just order some pullets.......

5. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    Some one told me that when you get the mixed batches you often get more roosters than hens because they are essentially throwing the roosters away.

When I got my second batch I got a sexed batch and still thought originally that I had four roosters, but eventually they all started to lay. It was worth the extra dollar or two per chick.

I am so sorry that happened! I wish I could share our eggs we get ten a day now and eat about ten a week! I am giving them to a food closet.

6. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Sorry for your frustration. Incubating and buying straight run is definitely chancy. If you're needing them soon, watch your local Craigslist or Bestfarmbuys.com - those two sites often do have adult layers available. Good luck!

7. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Oh, that's heart-breaking! Life is so unfair sometimes. You put a lot of time, effort and money into raising all those chicks. If you end up ordering chicks, I agree with the advice to go with sexed pullets.

That's a good suggestion, to try Craigslist.com and Bestfarmbuys.com. I've seen layers for sale on mine. You could also check the bulletin boards at the feed stores or feed mills in your area. Basically, any place that sells chicken feed. You could also put your own note up, saying you'd like to buy some pullets or laying hens. It also helps to let people know you're looking. Tell your friends, family, neighbors and co-workers. Sometimes they know someone or mention it to someone that knows someone. It's amazing how often that works!

You can also post a "looking for pullets or layers" message in the Buy, Sell and Trade section of this forum. Maybe there's someone near you that wouldn't mind thinning their flock, so they can get more chickens in the spring. I should have thought of that idea first! [​IMG]

Good luck with your search for more girls and more eggs!

8. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Quote:[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. Hoover67

Hoover67 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2008
    Huntsville
    Thanks all! At least two are laying. Today, I actually got to get an egg out. It was still warm! The kids have beaten me to the nest box every day this year. It is like Christmas - 12 eggs and counting! Of course everyone wants eggs everyday now!!! LOL!

I may look into ordering sexed pullets. I hate to pay all of that shipping. I have been happy with my mutt chickens. Oh well.

Boys, boys, boys....everywhere![​IMG]

10. wyliefarms

wyliefarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Fowlerville,MI
    Where are you located at? Maybe someone has hens for sale close to you?

A side note, if you have that many roos than are the hens being beat up? You may need to seperate them if so.

We always buy pullets and occasionally they mess up and we get a rooster. But we just want the girls and eggs!

I know we will be ordering soon, we need more eggs and have one coop with older hens that aren't giving us enough eggs to earn their keep!

Last edited: Jan 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by