Frustrated - Can someone help please?

Jennyg77

Hatching
May 2, 2015
I've got three chickens. Firstly we have Gloria of unknown age (around 6 months I think). I have been told that "she" is a Pekin Bantam. Is "she" really a girl and a Pekin?

Rachael joined the girls last weekend and was told that she is Point of Lay (5-6 months). Can anyone tell me what breed she is and if I would be expecting eggs from her (ie is "she" a girl also).

The last "Rosey" is approximately 8 months old and I was told that "she" is a Welsummer x Plymouth Rock. Would "she" really be a girl and also a Welsummer x Plymouth Rock?

None of them have laid an egg :( . The temperature here is 13-27 Celsius (55-80 F) and has been for a couple of weeks. Over summer it constantly reached +40C (+104F) which I can understand they may not lay at this temperature. What can I do to get them laying (if they are girls)?

My track record has not been good..... Originally got two aruacanas as chicks, both of which turned out to be boys!!! Also had a Polish hen which was laying but she died during our heat wave of +45C (+113F)

Gloria

Rachael

Rachaels' selfie

Rosey

Last edited:
Gloria is a Pekin bantam.

Rachel----Red sex Link or Golden Comet

Rosey----barnyard mix

They all look like beautiful hens to me and you should be proud, not frustrated
big_smile.png

6 months is an early age for hens to lay, but some do lay this early. Some of mine have taken nearly a year. Do you feed them layer pellets? Do they have nest boxes available?

Thanks. I've been told to feed them layer pellets and they have a nesting box each. Patience I guess
1f615.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outpost JWB

Gloria is a Pekin bantam.

Rachel----Red sex Link or Golden Comet

Rosey----barnyard mix

They all look like beautiful hens to me and you should be proud, not frustrated
big_smile.png

6 months is an early age for hens to lay, but some do lay this early. Some of mine have taken nearly a year. Do you feed them layer pellets? Do they have nest boxes available?
So Pekin bantam is what we call cochin bantams now I see. I was googling it as did not know what a pekin was..
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/17176/cochin-or-pekin

Last edited:
Gloria: Buff Cochin Bantam
Rachael: Red Sex-Link
Rosey: Possible Black Sex-Link or barnyard mix.

Back
Top Bottom