Frustrated with Buggy Feed

If you need to buy from that same store, maybe you can open the bag and check before you drive away. I'm sure it would be awkward to transport an opened bag home, but at least you would know if it was suitable, or if you need to buy something different before going home.

And if it is bad, you can return it and get your money back, and the store can complain to whoever shipped them buggy feed.
Easy fix, buy a rubbermaid type tote with a well fitting lid to transport your feed in.

I always store my feed in 5 gallon buckets (50lb bag usually fits in 2 buckets) so I can keep the feed sealed between uses. I keep the feed bag folded up and stored for informational purposes and because I oftentimes repurpose the bags for things that would break through a trash bag or just whatever. I didn't finish pouring the latest bag of feed into the second bucket, so I have the bag and tag. I'll call Southern States in the morning to let them know that I'd like to exchange the feed for a bag of waterfowl feed and call Purina. The luxury of getting both types of chicken feed and duck feed at the same place was nice but this isn't the first time I've had to make different trips in opposite direction. The last time I had to deal with feed issues was whenever Southern States was carrying old FR. They accepted the feed in exchange for their waterfowl feed but didn't understand why I didn't want to feed it (it was right at 6 months old). Since then, they have had very fresh feed and they're the only store that carries FR pellets and crumbles so I get everything while I'm getting waterfowl feed.

Or a couple-few 5gal buckets.

In the summer there's almost always grain mites in the FR.
I transfer feed into buckets, mixing in DE, before taking to coop.
I didn't realize this was a normal occurrence for the warmer weather. Does it become a quality problem if DE isn't mixed in? I usually use 50lb bag of crumbles in about a week to two weeks since I don't have as many birds eating crumbles. I haven't noticed the problem with the pellets which I go through much more often.
Since I have lung problems all the time I don't like to use DE.

Heather, save both the mill date and the lot numbers on your bag of rotten feed, because Purina should need both to track it down.
Often I've seen old feed at the local feed stores, especially the smaller bags sold to new chick owners for their few chicks. NOT GOOD!
And never have I bought a bag of Flock Raiser that was infested or spoiled, from any of the local stores.
Question: is that bag of feed March 2021, or could it be March2020? I didn't pay enough attention to the label...
Mary
It was March 25th 2021

My bantams (D'uccles and cochin) eat pellets.. but they are a smaller pellet. Not sure if you mean your bantam roo is eating a small or full size pellet. I use nutrena naturewise feather fixer.. it comes in a crumble and small pellet. And i would be irked to buy bug infested feed as well!
My Serama and Dutch Bantams like crumbles much better, especially the Serama. She chooses the tiniest bits of the crumbles to eat. My OEGB hens seem to like crumbles better too. All of my roosters like pellets much more and typically leave behind any crumbled feed. I'm also hoping to hatch some call Ducks late this week/early next week and they'll need crumbles too.

My Serama and Dutch Bantams like crumbles much better, especially the Serama. She chooses the tiniest bits of the crumbles to eat. My OEGB hens seem to like crumbles better too. All of my roosters like pellets much more and typically leave behind any crumbled feed. I'm also hoping to hatch some call Ducks late this week/early next week and they'll need crumbles too.
If you cannot get crumbles, you can make the pellets wet. Any size bird can pick them apart when they are wet.

Of course it is more bother, so probably not a long-term solution. Wet mushy stuff will not work in many of the feeder styles meant for dry food, and wet food spoils if you leave it out for too long, so you have to be more careful with the amounts and frequency of feeding.

If you cannot get crumbles, you can make the pellets wet. Any size bird can pick them apart when they are wet.

Of course it is more bother, so probably not a long-term solution. Wet mushy stuff will not work in many of the feeder styles meant for dry food, and wet food spoils if you leave it out for too long, so you have to be more careful with the amounts and frequency of feeding.
I make all of the chickens a wet mash every night and it seems they've become dependent on it to fill their crops before lock up. They LOVE this so much. With summer trying to take over Spring already, you're right, I do need to keep a close eye on that. Thank you for the reminder. I really appreciate it

Edited to add: I just purchased several of those rubber feed pans for their nightly mash and they're perfect for this

Back
Top Bottom