Frustrated with hen

Tonyroo

Free Ranging
Mar 29, 2020
N. California
So I have my Golden Laced Wyandotte, Lucy. She's the top hen and have been annoying me lately.

For the past month she's been dropping her egg randomly all over the place. She not a steady layer by the way.

Recently I noticed when I'm cleaning the coop she would jump in the nest box and sit in it. When I get done cleaning the coop she stands in the door way yapping her egg song which causes everyone to yap. But she never lays an egg in there.

I think she's becoming delusional. I thought about culling her, but then thought " well she is getting mated by the rooster and giving my other hens a break from him".

Am I wrong to think that? Just needed to write this out to get it out of my system.

Bella. She was my hen. She made this noise that I call "complaining" all the time! She wouldn't stop! No matter what I did. I'd let her out to free range. Nope, still complained. Finally I'd grab her and hold her. Still wouldn't shut up. So finally I'd hold her beak shut. Bella, still would complain in her throat. It'd drive me crazy! At night, I'd quietly walk into the coop to collect the eggs and count the birds. No need to count ol' Bella. Her complaining in her sleep was a dead giveaway that she was in there. Eventually she found a new home. It was due to having to rehome a lot of my birds, but I think that her complaining actually might of helped push me over the edge to rehome more birds than needed. I think Bella overwhelmed me. Maybe I wouldn't of re-homed so many if it wasn't for her.

A far as being underfoot while cleaning a coop, there's always one hen. Lily was my hen underfoot while I was cleaning until she sadly passed away. She was always making certain that I was doing a good job at cleaning the coop and everything. Even though it was always bothersome for her to be there, it was like it was her job. She was very well known for doing that, and now cleaning a coop without her is like something is missing. :hit

I don't suggest culling Lucy for her trouble (though I'm sure I probably had some dark thoughts entering my mind when I heard Bella's voice), but will suggest rehoming her if she's too much for you. Like I said how Bella might of been the reason why I re-homed too many birds that time, your Lucy could have an effect on how you see the rest of the flock. If you're worried about the rooster, either replace her, or get your hens saddles. They might need those anyways.

Originally I wanted to rehome her before she was a year old, but caring for new hatchlings, daily routine, relandscaping the yard. I was too tired at the end of the day to try.

The reason why I considered culling her was that I didn't want the new owner to experience her antics. Especially if it was a beginner at chicken keeping.

Back
Top Bottom