Frustrated with my DIY skills

If you're using deck screws and going into material that will not split (e.g. screwing plywood to good 2" lumber), if you need to set the screw so it doesn't wibble at first, just whack it good with a hammer as if you were starting a nail, and then use the drill.

This is NOT a substitute for the kind of pilot hole you'd use to prevent splitting; however it takes care of the problem some folks have with the screw goin' all over the place when you're trying to start it, and it's a lot faster than predrilling.

Pat

I am scared of power tools that can cut me (like rotary saws), so that part of building stuff is where I get frustrated. I'm terrified of cutting my fingers or my hand or my whole arm off... If all the parts to my projects came pre-cut, I'd have no problem doing most of the work on my own.

Thanks you guys, I feel better now! I've already been pre-drilling my holes, because we're using cheap white pine that would split otherwise, at least near the ends of the boards. It's just the circular saw that I really, really hate. And everything takes SO long...

Quote:
i was a bit leery of the circular saw, too, but i kept telling myself "it's got a guard, it's got a guard, it's got a guard" and now we get along pretty well. that's assuming that i actually measure and cut correctly, though, pfft! fortunately, my materials are free, so i'm not screwing up expensive stuff. that would bother me more.

i'm working with particle board and it's too dense to just screw into. i tried all the tricks, but pre-drilling is the only thing that works. it's boring and frustrating to have to switch back and forth from the drill to the phillips head (and i did try one of those magnetic sleeve things, but i felt like i was sacrificing some torque), but it does at least go through the bloody stupid wood. next time i'm going with nails. :p

Last edited:
Quote:
Yeah, you can't dance faster than the music, unfortunately...

LOL, if I'm doomed to build coops as badly as I dance, I may as well just give up now!

(when I dance there's little to no corrolation with the music...)

My coop won't win any design awards -- it sort of leans a little and the roof is truly a joke...even I have to laugh when I look at it.

But when the hawk comes around, guess where my girls run...

It gets the job done, and that's the most important part.

You'll finish your coop, and then you'll look at it and think, "Now, NEXT time, I'll just..." and before you know it, you'll have your second coop all planned out! Steep learning curve? Oh, yeah, you bet!

Ravenfeathers, A trick to avoid splitting the wood with nails is to dull the point of the nail by whacking the point with the hammer. This may not work at the end of the board, tho...
barnie.gif

Tom

I do all my building myself. Well sometimes my DH helps me attach parts if I can't hold it myself, and sometimes he adds extra supports that I didn't think were really needed. I just dove right in and gave it my best. My stuff might not be perfect, but if I didn't do it I wouldn't have it. My poor DH works hard so I feel bad asking him for too much.

Maybe we could start and advice sticky with the must have tools and the tools worth hiring. I am VERY lucky in I do a lot of engineering so I have a lot of tools at my disposal. I also take the easiest option which may not be considered conventional but does double what I ask it to do (built in safety )
Her's me advice, break everything down into sections, walls can be built away from the structure, the base needs the most amount of care as everything is squared to this. I have a post hole auger for a 3pt hitch so I used then to make a few holes to sink some tubing (the comercial brand is sono), but I had some plastic that did the job. once all the tubes were level i filled them with concrete and but some saddles for 4x4's so now I had good support for my base.
For drills cordless are great but if your going to be drilling a lot of holes I like to have a mains drill at hand to do the donkey work. a good 14volt and above cordless will last a while putting screws, for people that are not used to weightlifting chack out the 14v makita, the work well and and very light, they also have a shorter body allowing them to reach into tighter spaces. i personally have 2 14.4v dewalt and a 12v dewalt, the reason is I used to get a great deal on batterys for dewalt. both are pricey but worth it in the long run.
I also love my table that holds a circular saw, you can flip the saw so it either works as a table saw, of you can flip it so it can be used as a radial saw. I also have a makita radial saw that is just convienence when cutting lengths. I have a fat max stanley hand saw that slices through wood and well worth having in your tool box, I have had mine 4 years and it still cuts with ease.
A reciprocating saw is also a worthy addition as they are available for very cheap and will cut your trimming time down considerably. A decent set square and drywall square (4ft) also make marking out much quicker.
Hammers are personal choice, I have my favorite which my builder friend hates, he has some fancy hammer and I hate it, the handle is cranked so I hit my knuckles when I use it, for what it's worth its one with an aerodynamic shaft, i believe it's stanley but not sure, some like the comfort of a wooden grip but I prefer a decent handle.
Drill bits I only but dewalt as they grip the screw head much better and don't wear very quickly, for phillips and flat bits I use my snap-on ones, I may want to undo the screw again so it pays to keep the head intact.
But most of all break everything into small projects, get the base done first and then build the walls. one step at a time and you stand a much better chance of finishing.
As for painting, I always find that less pain-full with an open bottle of wine.
jigsaws!, I guess you get what you pay for, I have a b&d in it's death throws, a couple of skill brand that have met their maker and a cheap UK one I brought with me that just hit the dustbin. Dewalt yet again has what seems a very solid base plate and a solid looking saw bit holder, the 2 parts that always wear out for me. It's $100 so I'm humming and hawing but the fact that once again the body is shorter making it cut tighter into corner will probably have me spending the money and seeing if it outlasts the $30 ones. Saying that if canadian tire has one on sale next week I'll probably buy it and see how long it lasts. Well I've jabbered on long enough, back to topic and lets see those pictures, i love seeing projects part done so I can see the skeleton rather than the figure in full flesh.
If anyone in the mean time finds a durable jigsaw please feel free to PM me and give me the details.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom