Frustrated with my RIR's. Need help

raspeary

Songster
10 Years
Apr 13, 2009
Cortland New York
I'm getting really frustrated with my RIR roo's. I have had my BO Hen and Rooster in the coop in a small metal dog crate for the last 4 days. When the BO's are in the Crate, the RIR's do not even take notice of them. Today when I tried to let the buffs out of the crate, the RIR's were pecking the bo roo. enough so I interfered cause the buff hasn't figured out he ramp to go back into the coop. The BO hen just takes the pecking and doesn't peck/fight back. The BO roo tries but the rir's bullies always win. The RIR hens don't seem to peck as bad as the 2 roos.

What should I do. I got 3 more new hens comign tomorrow morning so i was hoping i could integrate at least the hen today because the bo roo is being sold tomorrow morning.

I have a tote, should I seperate the two RIR roo's out so they become the new chickens in the coop again?

Last edited:
So are you saying you are trying to integrate a BO Roo into your flock but you plan to sell him? If you are selling him, I would not put him through the tramma of integrating. He will have to go through pecking order adjustment and with 2 already established ROOs, your BO is in for a bloody battle and he may not ever be accepted and may end up dead.

Your BO hen should integrate fine with some basic pecking order adjustmnet.

You are getting a few more hens soon? They should integrate fine.

I must ask though - Did you quarantine any of these new birds? You are taking serious risk if you did not. Search on BYC for quarantining and why.

Quote:
The only reason the BO roo was out was because he would not let me near the hen with him. I wasn't trying to let him out. And yes the BO that i'm integrating has been quarintined and the new ones coming tomorrow will be as well.

what is the hen to roo ratio?
sounds like not enough hens and too many roos for one coop/run.

technically speaking, should be around 10 hens to 1 roo.

RIRs are also fairly aggressive birds. BO are fairly docile and can be towards the lower end of the pecking order.

it may just not work because of how many roos there are and because some RIRs are really, really aggressive.

Quote:
Right now there are 3 hens including the one I'm trying to integrate and 2 roos (One in a metal cage in the coop. not included in my count.) I'm tryin to sell the 2 RIR roos' but no one wants them. I could take out the 2 roos and see how the 2 rir hens do with her. I also have one hen that will be joiing later because she has a injury she is recovering from.

i would try removing the roos. 3 hens to 2 roos is waayy too many.. If you plan to keep the BO hen and the 2 RIR hens, then i would try to integrate them with just those three.

the RIR roos will be too aggressive. if you can, i think it would help to take them out.... maybe put them in a chicken tractor or another coop/shed/etc.

Back
Top Bottom