Frustrated....

Ontariosilkieaddict

In the Brooder
May 21, 2019
Hey everyone I bought what I thought was pure bred Columbian rocks...come to find out they are hatchery chickens so I believe Rhode Island Red was crossed...
If I have bred them together Columbian to columbian does the Rhode Island Red gene become recessive? I am not educated in genetics sorry so all the help would be great

Why do you believe they aren't pure Columbian rocks? Just because they're from a hatchery?
Why do you believe they have RIR crossed in?
Do they not look like Columbians or?
RIR is a breed made up of lots of genes its not just a gene in itself.
Your post is very confusing as far as what you have, why you think they have something else mixed in. Why you believe it is RIR that is mixed in. Why you say Columbian Xs Columbian if they're some type of mix. And how you believe a breed has been mixed in then become recessive.
I don't believe it is common practice for hatcheries to mix other breeds into their supposed purebreds and then sell them.
If a Columbian rock had RIR bred with them they wouldn't appear as Columbian rocks so i don't think a hatchery would think they would get away with selling as.
IDK it hard to make exact sense of you post without more details.
But to answer your question just as asked. No if you have Columbian rocks with RIR blood then crossing them will not make the RIR recessive.

Here is a pic of the chickens I bought....hatched out three of their eggs...I got two yellow chicks and one with a bit of a rust color on the shoulders...I asked the lady I bought them from if it was possible another rooster got to the hens ... Her answer was no...she then told me she originally for them from TSC....when I looked up TSC's listing for chicks It says Columbian rock x ....when I looked further it said the x is Rhode Island Red.... So my question is are my chicks now considered barn yard mix or columbians?

Attachments

• IMG_20190510_161957.jpg
    IMG_20190510_161957.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 32
I've never heard of TSC selling Columbian rock X or any hatchery selling them so IDK
But if that's the info you've found and that's where the birds came from then I guess they are just barnyard mixes.
Surely can't say they're Columbian rocks if there's any other breed mixed in.

That's autosomal red coming through not another breed expressing itself. Brassiness and red on shoulders of cockbirds is autosomal red. It's hard to get rid of and best not to breed from it.

That's autosomal red coming through not another breed expressing itself.
OP states they found the info from the source that they're mixed.
IDK I'd be inclined to agree with you. Would be interesting to see a link to the info. I couldn't find any of it myself.

I believe the OP is confusing two pieces of information. Cornish Rock X and Red Sexlinks. One being a meat bird and other produced via the production reds aka hatchery Rhode Island. All farm stores sell both of those.

The photos above are Columbian Rocks. Brassiness on silver based birds is due to Autosomal Red. It really shows up on the cockerels and of course their shoulders and hackles most.

Back
Top Bottom