Votes: 1 5.9%
  • 24 weeks

Votes: 3 17.6%
  • They haven't laid yet

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Other

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters
Yes, by squatting I mean they literally squat down with there wings spread and if you reach down to pet them they will stick their tails up. It's how they'd present themselves to the rooster to show they are sexually mature, but if you don't have a rooster they'll squat for you. It's kind of cute because some of mine that never let me pet them now drop at my feet for a back rub. Good for you for feeding Organic! I also do the same and our eggs are delicious and healthy for my family. I did not supplement any light due to no electric hook up yet and it did not seem to delay the girls laying, I know I will need to for the second winter though. I'd imagine you'll have eggs soon but I say buy some for now. I know how crazy it is waiting for those first eggs!! Best of luck! and let us know when you get that first one

I did let the days get shorter before turning on the light, though I hadn't thought to make it more gradual. I'm trying to be patient, I guess I'm just not sure wether to buy some eggs and the store or keep waiting...

I really can't answer that one for you. While some of the ones I hatch from my own eggs have started to lay as early as 16 weeks, some wait twice that long in the "good" season or even more this time of year. Time of year makes a difference to some but not others. I don't think there is a "right" answer to this, just waht happens to each of us in our own unique situations.

Thanks for all of your help! I'll be sure to watch if my chickens are squatting and I'll let you all when the first egg comes!

Just an update- I found one of my austrulorp roosters mating with a dominique. So I'm guessing/ hoping that that's a sign that eggs are coming soon. Though is it normal for roosters to do this before hens are mature? I got them all as day old chicks so they are very close in age.

Just an update- I found one of my austrulorp roosters mating with a dominique. So I'm guessing/ hoping that that's a sign that eggs are coming soon. Though is it normal for roosters to do this before hens are mature? I got them all as day old chicks so they are very close in age.

Yup, normal. My cockerel started mating mine about 2-3 weeks before first egg.

I think I may have a solution.........

You stated your birds free range. I'll bet you have hidden nests all over the place! Go on a serious egg hunt, and I mean look everywhere. Under bushes, behind garbage cans, I mean everywhere. Remember, as far as they know the survival of the species depends on them hiding that nest.

Or, you can confine them for a few days. See how many eggs you get.

But, if you're just now seeing mating behavior, it's quite probable they're just now getting mature enough to lay.

Do you have pics of your hens?

I have 11 hens that are 28 weeks old and only 2 have started to lay. My white leghorn started on Dec 1st and I just got my first brown egg today... not sure who laid it.

I think I may have a solution.........

You stated your birds free range. I'll bet you have hidden nests all over the place! Go on a serious egg hunt, and I mean look everywhere. Under bushes, behind garbage cans, I mean everywhere. Remember, as far as they know the survival of the species depends on them hiding that nest.

Or, you can confine them for a few days. See how many eggs you get.

But, if you're just now seeing mating behavior, it's quite probable they're just now getting mature enough to lay.

Do you have pics of your hens?
I've been searching all over for eggs, problem is- I've got 23 acres of lawn and woods to search through and then some if they sneak into my neighbor's property
sickbyc.gif
. Sometimes I leave them in for a little longer in the morning so that they might lay eggs inside the coop. I've tried to confine them in an electric net before, but they just fly over it.
barnie.gif
Tomorrow I'll see if I get get a pic of them with photo booth on my laptop. Haha, I have trouble uploading photos onto my laptop.

Back
Top Bottom