Fryer hen sounds like she has emphysema

elkauhane

Hatching
11 Years
Dec 9, 2008
Shoreline, WA
So we have a BIG fryer hen who is about 15 months old and about 15 lbs.

She sounds terrible like she has emphysema, labored breathing, sounds horse when she tries to make her normal chicken sounds. Seems lethargic, but is still walking around. Has watery diarrhea. We have her isolated in a dog create and she has been drinking water and is eating a little food.

We only have one fryer, she came with the flock we purchased, so we are not sure if she is past her time as a meat bird.......thoughts? Suggestions?

Sorry, I don't have any answers for you just wanted to get you bumped up for other posters to see. I thought that you really only kept fryers for a short time...like 6-12 weeks or so but I'm a newbie. It sounds like she is really sick though, hope that she pulls through and you get some help from those more experienced than I.
sad.png

Sounds like she's going downhill, sorry to say. Fryers commonly get ascites, which will flood the body cavity and destroy her heart. Meat birds are meant to be butchered at about 6-8 weeks old. The fact that she has survived this long is really an accomplishment. I lost my meat bird hen at 7 months to heart attack several years ago.

does the have watery, or bubbly eyes (conjunctivitis)? It could be something more serious but if it is only isolated to this one bird it probably isn't.

Back
Top Bottom