Full 22.7mg baytril tablet per day?

shiningeyes

Chirping
Mar 22, 2016
Hi all,

I brought my chicken in to see an avian vet (who also owns chickens) yesterday. Symptoms were not laying, and bile in poop, probably not due to her eating anything but really, really tiny crumbs of food and grass. She also had some very strange sloughed off stuff in two of her poops. Acting pretty normal other than that. Maybe a little less active as usual but still scratching and wandering around the yard all day and not running for treats which is what clued me into the problem in the first place. Anyways, my vet said she felt inflammation/swelling in her ovary and it seemed to cause her some pain when she palpated it so she's thinking she has a bacterial infection. She prescribed her 1 tablet of 22.7mg baytril daily. Does this seem like a lot? Has anyone had this prescribed? I don't have her weight but can call the vet and get it.

Also, does anyone know about swelling/infection of the ovary? She didn't say (and I was super stressed out so forgot to ask) what could cause it and if I need to be concerned for the rest of the flock or worry about eating the eggs she was laying prior to the baytril.I tried searching the internet and all I came up with was salpingitis which seemed like a death sentence and totally freaked me out.

This is my first flock (only 4) and I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts. Now to see if I can shove a pill down a chickens throat
hmm.png

Hi all,

I brought my chicken in to see an avian vet (who also owns chickens) yesterday. Symptoms were not laying, and bile in poop, probably not due to her eating anything but really, really tiny crumbs of food and grass. She also had some very strange sloughed off stuff in two of her poops. Acting pretty normal other than that. Maybe a little less active as usual but still scratching and wandering around the yard all day and not running for treats which is what clued me into the problem in the first place. Anyways, my vet said she felt inflammation/swelling in her ovary and it seemed to cause her some pain when she palpated it so she's thinking she has a bacterial infection. She prescribed her 1 tablet of 22.7mg baytril daily. Does this seem like a lot? Has anyone had this prescribed? I don't have her weight but can call the vet and get it.

Also, does anyone know about swelling/infection of the ovary? She didn't say (and I was super stressed out so forgot to ask) what could cause it and if I need to be concerned for the rest of the flock or worry about eating the eggs she was laying prior to the baytril.I tried searching the internet and all I came up with was salpingitis which seemed like a death sentence and totally freaked me out.

This is my first flock (only 4) and I'd love to hear anyone's thoughts. Now to see if I can shove a pill down a chickens throat
hmm.png
How much does she weigh? The amount of Baytril they get depends on how much they weigh.

Google "salpingitis avian medicine". Also read this:
http://avianmedicine.net/content/uploads/2013/03/29.pdf

How much does she weigh? The amount of Baytril they get depends on how much they weigh.

She was 2.20kg. Does that dose sound ok for that? I know you've done a lot of research on baytril.

I looked at the PDF you linked to and have looked online but am still confused. Is salpingitis the term for any inflammation/infection of the ovary/oviducts? Is that the only thing it could be? It just all seems so bad when I read about it
sad.png
She'll eat fruit and gobbled up her pumpkin seeds and some cucumber but still won't touch her feed. She was tube fed yesterday at the vets and I think I'll take her in again today (since I have the option for a professional to do it I'd rather not do it myself). I had high hopes because she didn't seem very ill other than the not eating thing. And she still is eating some, just very picky on what she'll consume. But now after reading I'm not so optimistic.

How much does she weigh? The amount of Baytril  they get depends on how much they weigh.

She was 2.20kg. Does that dose sound ok for that? I know you've done a lot of research on baytril.

I looked at the PDF you linked to and have looked online but am still confused. Is salpingitis the term for any inflammation/infection of the ovary/oviducts? Is that the only thing it could be? It just all seems so bad when I read about it :( She'll eat fruit and gobbled up her pumpkin seeds and some cucumber but still won't touch her feed. She was tube fed yesterday at the vets and I think I'll take her in again today (since I have the option for a professional to do it I'd rather not do it myself). I had high hopes because she didn't seem very ill other than the not eating thing. And she still is eating some, just very picky on what she'll consume. But now after reading I'm not so optimistic. 
The amount your vet prescribed is less than what my vet has had me give, but it's still in the normal range.

If caught soon enough, salpingitis can be treated with powerful antibiotics. Also google metritis, I think that's just swelling, whereas salpingitis is infection. Most know I am a huge fan of tube feeding, and I promise you it's much easier than it sounds. When you take her in for tubing, have them show you how to do it.

It's great that you can afford veterinary care, but as you have read, it can be difficult to treat.

Last edited:
The amount your vet prescribed is less than what my vet has had me give, but it's still in the normal range.

If caught soon enough, salpingitis can be treated with powerful antibiotics. Also google metritis, I think that's just swelling, whereas salpingitis is infection. Most know I am a huge fan of tube feeding, and I promise you it's much easier than it sounds. When you take her in for tubing, have them show you how to do it.

It's great that you can afford veterinary care, but as you have read, it can be difficult to treat.

Thanks casportpony for checking the dosage. It is nice I have access to veterinary care which so many people don't but I have pretty much gone way beyond my budget. The tube feeding is really inexpensive which is why I'm choosing to go but I will see if they can show me.

I will read up on metritis as well. It's disheartening about the salpingitis but it is what it is I guess. I may be a little too sensitive and emotional for this poultry keeping. I truly enjoy all my birds but I have a really hard time when there are problems. And unfortunately I seem to have bad luck when it comes to poultry keeping even though I am fanatical about cleaning at least every day if not 2 times. Such is the way it goes though I guess.Thanks again for your help. I'll do what I can for her.

Thanks casportpony for checking the dosage. It is nice I have access to veterinary care which so many people don't but I have pretty much gone way beyond my budget. The tube feeding is really inexpensive which is why I'm choosing to go but I will see if they can show me.

I will read up on metritis as well. It's disheartening about the salpingitis but it is what it is I guess. I may be a little too sensitive and emotional for this poultry keeping. I truly enjoy all my birds but I have a really hard time when there are problems. And unfortunately I seem to have bad luck when it comes to poultry keeping even though I am fanatical about cleaning at least every day if not 2 times. Such is the way it goes though I guess.Thanks again for your help. I'll do what I can for her.

How did your hen do on the Baytril? Mine might have Salpingitis. Wondering if the Baytril actually helped.

Back
Top Bottom