Relleoms

Songster
6 Years
Jan 22, 2018
Iowa
Hi all, thank you in advance for your help. One week ago I brought in a 10 month old hen after finding green poop on the dropping board a number of mornings. She weighs just over 6 pounds and it’s remained relatively unchanged. She drinks excessively but has only been eating raw eggs and very finely crushed grower feed (she won’t eat anything else). I’ve added probiotics and electrolytes to her water, given her Corid & Valbazen and tonight she finishes a course of baytril (I had 2 22.7mg pills on hand prescribed at 1/4 tablet per day, but I’ve been giving her 2 tablets per day)and haven’t seen any improvement. Other than her poop (slightly dirty bum), excessive thirst and reluctance to eat solids, she seems fine-posture is good, color is good (she’s not currently laying), no sores in her mouth, etc. I’m at a loss of what to try next. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• IMG_1373.jpeg
    IMG_1373.jpeg
    604.1 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_1363.jpeg
    IMG_1363.jpeg
    828.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1364.jpeg
    IMG_1364.jpeg
    649.6 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_1369.jpeg
    IMG_1369.jpeg
    649.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1361.jpeg
    IMG_1361.jpeg
    505.8 KB · Views: 12
What does her crop feel like? Empty, full, firm, doughy, or puffy soft? Can you recheck it in early morning before she eats or drinks anything. The green lookups like she is not eating much. Has she ever laid eggs, and were they normal?

Crop is empty in the morning and remains relatively empty during the day, which seems normal considering she’s not eating much. She laid eggs for a couple months this fall (and they were normal) but my entire flock stopped laying in early January when temps dropped below zero for a few weeks. 36 chickens and I bought eggs this week 🤦🏼‍♀️.
I did just give her mealworms and she ate them, guess it’s better than nothing.

She has a little frostbite on her comb, and minimal on her wattles. I would still keep trying to get her to eat, keep up the probiotics, and try a little tuna or ground meat bits. Once she starts eating better, cut back to mostly chicken feed. You have done most things I would have thought of so far. Perhaps the antibiotics, wormer, and Corid have messed up her intestinal flora.

She has a little frostbite on her comb, and minimal on her wattles. I would still keep trying to get her to eat, keep up the probiotics, and try a little tuna or ground meat bits. Once she starts eating better, cut back to mostly chicken feed. You have done most things I would have thought of so far. Perhaps the antibiotics, wormer, and Corid have messed up her intestinal flora.
Thank you, I will try these things. She had some tuna this evening and loved it…hopefully she doesn’t get too spoiled with good food & snub the chicken feed!

Update: I sent these pictures to a vet friend and she said it looks like generalized diarrhea, the green color due to fast transit through the system and the blobs due to excess water. She suggested treating her with Corid again (for coccidiosis) at the treatment dose and feeding a lower protein feed. She also suggests a supplement with pre/probiotics & electrolytes until it clears. I’ll update in a few days!

Usually chickens with coccidiosis won’t eat due to the pain. If you do treat with Corid, make sure there are no vitamins given, and some electrolytes have those. Nothing should be given with Corid, so they drink enough of the treated water. Keep us updated on how she is doing.

I direct dosed her this morning, plus gave her drinking water with Corid and probiotics. The vet recommended Flockleader Recover 911, but I don’t have that so I’ll probably just wait until the end of the 3 days and give her nutridrench instead.

Attachments

• IMG_1381.png
    IMG_1381.png
    682.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_1380.png
    IMG_1380.png
    909.2 KB · Views: 8

Back
Top Bottom