Full crop, Wheezing, Hiccuping...

yakitori

Crowing
Jun 22, 2020
New York
My black 7 week old silkie was fine yesterday just before bed, very energetic, running all over the place. But when I went to check on him at 2am, i heard him wheezing loudly with each breath, coupled with an occasional hiccup... I felt his crop and it was full. Felt the others, and their crops were fairly empty. I chalked it down to an impacted crop. I gave him a few drops of oil and massaged his crop. his wheezing does improve if I keep massaging... This morning he wasn’t any better. I now have him isolated in a plastic tote. He hasn’t passed poop since last night. What do I do now?

editing to add:
They are fed fermented crumbles, but since they have free range of the big girl’s run, when the bigger girls actually free range, it’s likely they picked up other stuff.

He still has a lot of energy. not lethargic. but looks extremely uncomfortable :(

Last edited:
updating, her wheezing has gotten better. She still has the occassional hiccup. I’m feeding her a little bit of coconut oil then massaging her crop. She (Sorry I don’t know gender so I keep switching the terms.) pooped a little bit after i posted this thread, and 4 extra times after wards. The first dropping had a bit of red, I presume it’s intestinal lining since the subsequence droppings were small but normal looking.

Sorry, no one has responded. How is your hen doing?
Thanks for checking in!

I continued to massage her crop throughout the day and eventually she passed more poop. Her crop cleared by the end of the day and she began eating again. She was very energetic throughout the whole ordeal, which was encouraging. She’s been good since, and I’ve returned her to her buddies.

Thanks for checking in!

I continued to massage her crop throughout the day and eventually she passed more poop. Her crop cleared by the end of the day and she began eating again. She was very energetic throughout the whole ordeal, which was encouraging. She’s been good since, and I’ve returned her to her buddies.

Thanks for the update, glad to hear she's doing better!

Back
Top Bottom