Full crop?

littlelune810

Chirping
Nov 6, 2015
Washington State
I have 4 chicks that are somewhere between 7 and 10 days old. They have been in a brooder with pine shavings and I have fed medicated starter. 2 days ago I gave them a clump of grass and dirt/rocks/sand from the yard which they pulled several worms out of. Only just today was I able to get to the feed store for chick grit. When I pick them up I can notice the area where the crop is feels full. Its isnt super noticeable just by looking at them, only when you feel it. They dont seem to be uncomfortable. Is this normal or should I be worried? Thanks!!

I have 4 chicks that are somewhere between 7 and 10 days old. They have been in a brooder with pine shavings and I have fed medicated starter. 2 days ago I gave them a clump of grass and dirt/rocks/sand from the yard which they pulled several worms out of. Only just today was I able to get to the feed store for chick grit. When I pick them up I can notice the area where the crop is feels full. Its isnt super noticeable just by looking at them, only when you feel it. They dont seem to be uncomfortable. Is this normal or should I be worried? Thanks!!
Sounds normal to me. Are they all acting fine?

Sounds normal to me. Are they all acting fine?
I have seen my with their crops so full you can see it poking out from the fluff. They sometimes feel/look deformed. They are just like adult chickens. They should be full but not hard but empty (mostly) after they sleep.

Do make sure if you are feeding them anything other than chick feed that you include fine grit so that they can digest properly.
big_smile.png

I have seen my with their crops so full you can see it poking out from the fluff.  They sometimes feel/look deformed.  They are just like adult chickens.  They should be full but not hard but empty (mostly) after they sleep.  

Do make sure if you are feeding them anything other than chick feed that you include fine grit so that they can digest properly. :D

Thanks! They do have chick grit now, and only thing besides starter crumbles has been the worms from the dirt from the yard and probably a little bit of grass/dirt. I was worried about the pine shavings but it sounds like everything is normal
1f60a.png

I brood mine on day one with pine shavings and have never had a problem. I have heard a rare occasion of people who have had a chick eat the pine shavings. Some of it won't hurt them, but if they get a big piece, it can be a problem. I watch my hens swallow acorns whole and I wonder how long that takes to digest!
idunno.gif

I seriously love these little peepers. The 2 little ones are Buckeyes I just picked up today. The older ones are 2 Australorps and 2 EE's.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Back
Top Bottom