Full crop?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by littlelune810, Mar 18, 2016.

1. littlelune810

littlelune810 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2015
    Washington State
    I have 4 chicks that are somewhere between 7 and 10 days old. They have been in a brooder with pine shavings and I have fed medicated starter. 2 days ago I gave them a clump of grass and dirt/rocks/sand from the yard which they pulled several worms out of. Only just today was I able to get to the feed store for chick grit. When I pick them up I can notice the area where the crop is feels full. Its isnt super noticeable just by looking at them, only when you feel it. They dont seem to be uncomfortable. Is this normal or should I be worried? Thanks!!

2. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

Sounds normal to me. Are they all acting fine?

3. littlelune810

Nov 6, 2015
    Washington State
    They all seem to be pretty happy and content.

4. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I have seen my with their crops so full you can see it poking out from the fluff. They sometimes feel/look deformed. They are just like adult chickens. They should be full but not hard but empty (mostly) after they sleep.

Do make sure if you are feeding them anything other than chick feed that you include fine grit so that they can digest properly. [​IMG]

5. littlelune810

Nov 6, 2015
    Washington State

Thanks! They do have chick grit now, and only thing besides starter crumbles has been the worms from the dirt from the yard and probably a little bit of grass/dirt. I was worried about the pine shavings but it sounds like everything is normal [​IMG]

6. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    I brood mine on day one with pine shavings and have never had a problem. I have heard a rare occasion of people who have had a chick eat the pine shavings. Some of it won't hurt them, but if they get a big piece, it can be a problem. I watch my hens swallow acorns whole and I wonder how long that takes to digest! [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  7. littlelune810

Nov 6, 2015
    Washington State
    I seriously love these little peepers. The 2 little ones are Buckeyes I just picked up today. The older ones are 2 Australorps and 2 EE's.

Thanks everyone for your help![​IMG]

8. 16 paws

16 paws Chillin' With My Peeps

No wonder you love them, they look very happy and healthy to me...
    Enjoy your new babies, they grow up so fast.

9. Puddin Fluff

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    [​IMG]

10. CaradineCousins

CaradineCousins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 29, 2015
    Birmingham Alabama
    We are raising our first flock of 15 chicks and I am very new to this can you please tell me what a "crop" is, thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by