Full egg inside a different color shell

What do you think caused the egg within an egg?

• It was a 2-shelled egg that just happened to be 2 different shell colors.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was a broken egg that somehow got stuck to a normal egg in the nest box.

Votes: 1 33.3%
  • It was a really crafty hen with a glue gun who was making a work of art.

Votes: 2 66.7%

• Total voters

LestersFlat

Songster
12 Years
May 17, 2011
Schuyler Lake NY
I have quite a mix of breeds, some brown egg layers, and some blue. I had this happen several years ago before the blue eggers, and I thought maybe it was a 2-shelled egg, although that wasn't what it looked like to me. Even then it was a dark brown egg from one of my Marans inside a light brown shell which looked like it came from one of the others. (This is in the last pic with a whole LOT of eggs from when the girls had found a nice hiding place for them in the garage. We knew they were hiding them somewhere!)

And the first 2 photos are from an egg we got today. I am pretty darn sure the blue egger did not have a brown egg inside that blue shell. It actually looks like the brown one was squeezed inside the smaller blue shell make it crack like that. It doesn't look like the blue shell could have ever been intact around the larger brown egg.

A mystery for sure!

Last edited:
I read about a similar occurrence in my Backyard chickens magazine. The best guess answer was that the bigger egg broke and the smaller egg got deposited on to, or rolled into the broken shell. Hens roll eggs under them as they prepare to sit down on them. So I would think that answer would fit your situation too.

No one was pulling my leg, just the husband and me here and he's not that silly.

I am thinking you are both correct. This is only the second time in 5 years that this has happened, so it's probably just a fluke that happened when an egg broke and another egg got pushed into the shell by a hen sitting on it. Even so, that blue egg shell is pretty amazingly wrapped around the brown egg. I washed off the blue pieces, and the brown egg was completely fine underneath.

Chicken Juggler: The third pic is a piece of our lawn mower that was in with the hay bales next to the garage. We noticed that very few eggs were being laid out in the coop which is about 500 feet away. It has plenty of nice clean nest boxes. We knew the girls were hiding them somewhere, but it took us a week or more to find their hiding place.

Wow how weird. My friend had something similar when we found a nest of 48 eggs. We found small eggs before from chickens and ducks. Once she had chicken hatch babies and rolled a golf ball near the hatched egg and got it stuck. It looked as if the egg was hatching a golf ball.

Back
Top Bottom