Is this egg from the Olive Egger?

Mon-12

In the Brooder
May 1, 2023
I have a mixed flock of 6 pullets. The 24 week olive egger started laying last week. She laid 4 eggs of similar color without a skip, and then skipped two days until today, when I found a much more bluish egg (see photos). Could this egg still be from the olive egger?
The other pullet I have that could have laid that egg and that was not laying yet is a 25 week Easter egger. However, I looked at her vent and does not seem as large as in the other pullets that are laying, and it looks yellowish, not pink. The EE squatted for the first time today when I picked her up.

At first I was sure it was from the EE, but then I checked her vent and read some posts on OE eggs changing color depending on how much brown color they deposit on top of the blue shell. But can the shade change so much?

I have a similar thing happening with the brown eggs from two other pullets, Dominique and Salmon Faberolle. They change a bit from one day to another, but I thought I was starting to make sense of it and telling them apart. Then today I get a super light brown egg I cannot explain.The only other brown-laying pullet is a 24 week speckled Sussex than does not look ready to lay yet (but I might be wrong).
The first two photos are from today (with changes in shade of green and brown eggs). The third photo is from last week.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpeg
    IMG_0270.jpeg
    572.7 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_0268.jpeg
    IMG_0268.jpeg
    400.9 KB · Views: 58
  • IMG_0256.jpeg
    IMG_0256.jpeg
    492.8 KB · Views: 56
The color stays the same, but the saturation will vary. Two different layers. :]
Thank you!
I think you are right and it’s too different layers. However, I have not gotten any other green egg since 5 days ago now, but I got another blue egg today. I also have a camera on the run and I saw the OE spending a lot of time inside the coop followed by an egg song (although another brown chicken layer was inside too that could be singing). I am hoping to get a green and blue egg on the same day soon to know for sure they are different layers!

Thank you!
I think you are right and it’s too different layers. However, I have not gotten any other green egg since 5 days ago now, but I got another blue egg today. I also have a camera on the run and I saw the OE spending a lot of time inside the coop followed by an egg song (although another brown chicken layer was inside too that could be singing). I am hoping to get a green and blue egg on the same day soon to know for sure they are different layers!
New layers take awhile to get in a schedule, a while between eggs is not unusual.

Back
Top Bottom