Oliver Eggers stopped laying green eggs

Oh ok.. these are my first set of chickens.. but also I live in Phoenix and although the temperature has changed we do still have more sunlight than most areas in the winter so I didn't really consider that a factor, but again what do I know 😆

Even in Phoenix, the daylight hours shorten in the winter and lengthen again in the summer. This is what we're referring to when we're saying that light impacts their egg laying. It's the photoperiod length, the total amount of continuous light exposure in a day, that triggers the hormonal releases that cause egg laying to stop or start, not the amount of sunny days versus cloudy days or anything like that.

Pullets, that is female chickens under a year old, very often skip having a molt in their first winter and keep on laying through to their second year, but it's not unheard of for pullets to quit laying and have a molt in their first winter, either. I've had a few here over the years that did just that as well. They are perfectly healthy birds, they just opted to take a winter vacation instead of working through the holidays, so to speak. 🤭

Even in Phoenix, the daylight hours shorten in the winter and lengthen again in the summer. This is what we're referring to when we're saying that light impacts their egg laying. It's the photoperiod length, the total amount of continuous light exposure in a day, that triggers the hormonal releases that cause egg laying to stop or start, not the amount of sunny days versus cloudy days or anything like that.

Pullets, that is female chickens under a year old, very often skip having a molt in their first winter and keep on laying through to their second year, but it's not unheard of for pullets to quit laying and have a molt in their first winter, either. I've had a few here over the years that did just that as well. They are perfectly healthy birds, they just opted to take a winter vacation instead of working through the holidays, so to speak. 🤭
Glad I finally got around to asking 😅

I have an Olive Egger and at about 2 years old she stopped laying even during the summer. I didn’t see a green egg for several months. I thought too that her eggs turned brown but that wasn’t the case. One day I found a green egg and she started laying again. Not sure why it happened, maybe she just decided to take a break. She’s laying more consistently now.

I have an Olive Egger and at about 2 years old she stopped laying even during the summer. I didn’t see a green egg for several months. I thought too that her eggs turned brown but that wasn’t the case. One day I found a green egg and she started laying again. Not sure why it happened, maybe she just decided to take a break. She’s laying more consistently now.
I literally thought they just changed color 😆 I'm glad I came on here, I'm sure they'll both start laying again when it warms up / more daylight hours

Do you have just the one chicken or you mean you have 1 olive egger with other types? I have 2 olive Eggers in my group of 10 chickens and I was getting very green eggs left & right ... weird how neither is laying green anymore, at the same time.. unless they changed colors or they just stopped laying

Does that happen? Like in the winter they'd just stop? Bc I have been getting less eggs.. I figured all the chickens were just laying less frequently but perhaps both eggers just stopped laying.. they both would lay nearly every day, which always seemed excessive but I was getting more eggs out of those 2 than any other of my chickens (I posted pics if you didn't see them)
I have an EE that lays beautiful blue eggs... or did for 18months. She molted big time this summer and hasn't laid a blue egg since. She has just started to lay one or two 'tanish' eggs per week. Anybody else see a difference after molt?

This is the size of the eggs from my no longer green Egger girl.
20230219_105047.jpg
20230219_105023.jpg

Back
Top Bottom