Oliver Eggers stopped laying green eggs

Directinfluence

Chirping
Apr 12, 2023
Hi
just curious if anyone has commentary on why my Olive eggers who always laid green eggs suddenly stopped laying green eggs about a month ago.. they are now a pale cream color / light tan... is it because its winter and they are maybe eating plants that have changed with the weather or might they never lay green eggs again?

Could you post photos of the old eggs, as well as the new? Do you have any other birds in the flock that might be laying instead. A bird can't switch egg colours throughout their life. What can happen is a decrease in the intensity of the colour as the female progresses in her laying cycle

Had this happen with my one hen I kept for her beautiful green eggs. She laid consistent olive green eggs, until all the sudden I started only getting light brown.
I tracked her laying with blue food dye to figure out who was laying olive green.
Both are from the same hen. All I can assume is her blue pigment stopped working for some reason.
20201120_150012.jpg

She only lays light brown now.

One thing I've noted with olive Eggers, is their egg color isn't consistent. One day I'd get a beautiful dark olive egg, next would be a turquoise, next maybe an uneven blue/olive egg, sometimes I'd get a blue with green speckles. I only have 1 Olive Egger hen.

Could you post photos of the old eggs, as well as the new? Do you have any other birds in the flock that might be laying instead. A bird can't switch egg colours throughout their life. What can happen is a decrease in the intensity of the colour as the female progresses in her laying cycle

Here's pictures of before & now.. haven't seen a green egg in at least a month, or more

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240107_114854_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_114854_Gallery.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
  • Screenshot_20240107_114934_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240107_114934_Gallery.jpg
    654.9 KB · Views: 26
  • 20240107_114945.jpg
    20240107_114945.jpg
    554.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 20240107_115002.jpg
    20240107_115002.jpg
    345.9 KB · Views: 27
Egg color doesnt change odds are it was never an olive to start with just a brown with a heavy bloom
Well the only option is they both stopped laying eggs all together if the color can't change.. cuz they were both laying green since they started laying.. then I noticed a decrease in the amount of greens I was getting, then I had 0 greens

One thing I've noted with olive Eggers, is their egg color isn't consistent. One day I'd get a beautiful dark olive egg, next would be a turquoise, next maybe an uneven blue/olive egg, sometimes I'd get a blue with green speckles. I only have 1 Olive Egger hen.
Do you have just the one chicken or you mean you have 1 olive egger with other types? I have 2 olive Eggers in my group of 10 chickens and I was getting very green eggs left & right ... weird how neither is laying green anymore, at the same time.. unless they changed colors or they just stopped laying
More then likely they stopped laying
Does that happen? Like in the winter they'd just stop? Bc I have been getting less eggs.. I figured all the chickens were just laying less frequently but perhaps both eggers just stopped laying.. they both would lay nearly every day, which always seemed excessive but I was getting more eggs out of those 2 than any other of my chickens (I posted pics if you didn't see them)

Back
Top Bottom